Emily Smith "A Day Like Today"

Emily Smith "A Day Like Today"

If any of you have a hard copy I’d love to know the musicians on it. I haven’t been able to find musician
credits anywhere online.

Re: Emily Smith "A Day Like Today"

Emily Smith: vocals, accordion, piano;
Ross Ainslie: whistles, border pipes;
Jamie McClennan: fiddle;
Sean O’Donnell: guitar, vocals
with
Neil Cameron: double bass [3, 6]

Thank you - I will assume that Ross Ainslee played the flutes as well (?) i really like the flute playing - especially on McLeod’s Farewell.

Never heard of Ross playing flute, and I’ve known him for over 10 years. Jamie McClennan certainly plays flute, much more likely to be him.

Posted by .

I don’t think he’s ever taken it very seriously, but Ross can blow a flute all right, if twice through the Little Cascade counts! On a bit of drainpipe as well. Though I agree he probably wouldn’t record it.

Posted by .

The set has both fiddle and flute - could of been overdubbed but that would seem unusual for a trad recording.

"but that would seem unusual for a trad recording." Why would you think that ?

Posted by .

Why? Because I think 99% of trad recording are recorded live with little overdubbing. I could be wrong. My opinion is simply based on collective reading throughout the years. I know it is done but I don’t think it is done often.

I have a theory that the flute player is Alan Doherty despite what the credits might say. I think it sounds like him and then going through some Youtube videos last night I found one of him playing with the band. To my ear the player on that track is special and Alan would fit that description. I’m going to try to contact the band myself and figure this out.

I know it is done Kenny and that the technology has existed for a long time but I still don’t believe it is done a lot. I think it was done more when it was new but I also think there is a bias against it, which I tend to agree with, that it is difficult to get the "it" in the rhythm that comes from players playing live together. Upon further consideration I would say it is more common (i.e. than 99%) that the core band records and then overdubs are laid over that.

This all being said, I may simply be a complete idiot knowing now that the "flute" on the McLeod’s Farewell set was actually Ross Ainslie on low whistle. I would have never thought I could have made that mistake. Listening back now I can hear it but he has such a clean mellow sound with very little of the chiff I associate with the whistle.