Name of ITM store in Galway City?

Name of ITM store in Galway City?

Hoping somebody can help me out here. As my profile says, I spent a semester in Galway City a few years back, unfortunately before I knew much about Irish music. Anyway, having been gone from there for some time now, I’ve begun having these dreams where Galway is sorta like the land of Oz. Sounds wierd, but stick with me here.

Anyway, in this dream, one store stands out amongst the rest of them, and for the life of me I can’t remember the name of it. It’s a music store (primarily for ITM, but I think there was some other stuff in there as well). If I recall correctly, the store was located on Shop Street (the pedestrian-only part), and was not too far from Eyre Square. I believe it’s on your left if you’re coming from Eyre Square and walking down towards Dominick Street. I know there is Mulligan’s, but I believe that music store was on a road kind of behind Shop Street.

Anyway, I would be quite happy if anybody knows the name of the store I’m talking about. No particular reason I want to know other than it’s been bugging me that I can’t remember the name.

Re: Name of ITM store in Galway City?

Hi Jason -
I’ve never been all the way to Galway, so I can’t help you. I’ve never heard you play, but your post certainly confirms that you have the head of a trad. musician. Good luck!

Posted by .

Powell’s ??

Posted by .

While we’re at it, what’s the other name for The Peeler’s Jacket…its title is another person’s jacket:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1343
We -or I couldn’t remember last night at the sesh.
BTW Kris - Jason is a fine flute player.

Powell’s does ring a bell. Thanks Kenny. That’s been bugging me for a while. And thanks LotF for the endorsement. Always glad that my playing can be appreciated 🙂

Powells is also known as the four corners and is near Abbeygate Street there is also Mulligans which have a great selection or ITM Cd’s hope that helps.

Ahhhh. Powell’s … one of the traditional holy sites of the pilgrimage to Galway. Kenny’s bookshop, tigh coili, taafe’s, the Crane, and the King’s Head. Somebody once mentioned something about a big body of water somewhere nearby, but I’ve never made it past Dominic Street.

Scott, guess it depends on how you walk to the Crane. I would take a back way occasionally, but more often than not, I made sure to walk past that big ol’ body o’ water 🙂