Trinity College Concertinas: as bad as I suspect ?

Trinity College Concertinas: as bad as I suspect ?

A friend who works in a music shop has asked whether it’s a good idea to stock ‘ Trinity College’ concertinas.

Going by the price, I suspect I should say ‘No’. Also going by the only review I can find online, which is over a decade old but makes them sound like those terrible Chinese lantern things,
Has anything changed for the better ?
If not, is there any reputable affordable brand I can recommend to my friend’s shop ?
In other words, something more economical than a Morse or any other of the cheaper makes.

Yeah, I know - I should tell him to steer clear of all that cheap rubbish.
I probably will do so, but just double checkin’.

thanks

Re: Trinity College Concertinas: as bad as I suspect ?

Maybe try your question on concertina.net forums. There will be more people there who might have an opinion.

Posted by .

If you’re referring to anglo system concertina, our standard advice over on concertina.net is to steer newbies who lack funds or certainty of commitment to the Rochelle. Made in China, yes, but with inspection/setup/quality control/warranty by Wim Wakker of the Concertina Connection in Washington state of the U.S, builder of superb (IMO) traditional-style instruments. While Rochelles are very basic and most players move on from them fairly quickly (or stop playing), they are the best cheap option available, at least in North America. You can’t play Irish dance music up to tempo on one (at least, I can’t), no concertina will without spending considerably more. But they will get you started. Whether it is worth reselling from Wakker (others do so in U.S.: Button Box; Bob Tedrow) is a matter of making inquiries I suppose.

Come on over to C.net and ask, you’ll get a dozen other opinions!

Ken

Posted by .

I got really close to entering the world of Anglo concertinas (decided on the melodeon in the end), and after a lot of research was going to go with a Mcneela Wren as a good looking beginner instrument.

Thanks Ken Coles, and others. Ken, I’ve PM’d you.

The McNeela Wren is a good beginner instrument. I am happy with mine. It is a bit stiff for full speed Irish reels, but my playing ability isn’t near there yet anyway! I recommend the Anglo Concertina Absolute Beginner book by Sherburn and Mallinson. Playing the concertina has been more fun than I thought it would be and I am finding it very relaxing and enjoyable. The Wren is good value and I imagine it will be suitable for my level of playing for quite awhile.