TG4 musician documentaries

TG4 musician documentaries

Hello All,
This might be old news to most, and apologies if so, but I’m compelled to make sure that people are aware of the excellent "Se mo Laoch" series on TG4 (Ireland’s excellent Irish language tv channel, I watch it on the free phone app) - profiles of various musicians such as Paddy Keenan, Arty McGlynn, Seamus Begley, Steve Cooney and more - I assume there are subtitles available for anyone who might struggle with the language element but they’re really worth a look / listen even so. I hope someone out there enjoys them half as much as I have been doing.
All the best.

Re: TG4 musician documentaries

Yes, you can indeed switch on subtitles in English.

Sure jesus, the subtitles are for us as well! There’s a very limited part of the population that have a fluent grasp, or even and ear, for Irish. The way we learn it in school is shockingly bad, no conversational Irish, but I can analyse five poems, five stories and write a letter about my laethanta saoire sa Spáin (and I probably have that wrong as well *-*).

Apologies for the rant. I’ve heard of that programme, dont think I’ve ever watched it. The ‘Slí na mBeaglaoigh’ programme is fantastic, and features one of the only concertina players I actually know by name ^-^!

Posted by .

Hi can anyone step through where to turn the English subtitles on for the phone app. I used to be able to find it easily but when the phone app updated, it hasn’t been so easy to find. Thanks

There is a symbol with cc written on. That‘s what you‘re after.

Posted by .

And it’s Kilmaley, Co Clare tonight with Geraldine and Éamonn Cotter! Ag súil go mór leis an gclár seo agus chuile sheans go mbeidh sé chomh taitneamhach agus chomh ceolmhar is a bhí na cláracha eile go dtí seo. Déanann TG4TV cláracha iontacha gan dabht ar bith. A leithéid de chartlann!
(SCDITT, Tá súil agam go bhfuil tú i mbarr na sláinte!)

You’re right about that, SCDITT, it was only after leaving school in Dublin that I set myself to learning Irish to an acceptable level; even so, I remember being in secondary school and realizing that I knew more Irish than my Irish teacher. And I was less of a drunken psycho too!
On this note, can someone enlighten me as to how to add a fada on both my iphone and my regular computer (surface pro); I can’t for the life of me figure it out.
Go n-eiri libh (see? no fada 🙂)

Cabaiste’s paean to "Se mo Laoch" brought on the nostalgia. My wife and I spend most evenings watching the trad music programs on TG4 when we’re in Dublin, about six weeks a year. We have occasionally skipped a live performance or session for one. Does anyone know how we can view these from the U.S.? What is the free phone app that brings you TG4?

How to add a fada - Cabaiste, to add a fada is really very simple. When you press, for example, the letter e, keep your finger on the e button and a row of e’s will appear each with a different accent. Slide your finger over the e with the fada and then lift your finger off. The e fada will then be where needed. I was like yourself until somebody showed me how easy it was.
Richard

@Cabaiste
To add a fada using a Windows computer, hold down the ‘Alt gr’ key while you type in the vowel.

http://www.scriobh.ie/page.aspx?id=12&l=2

For all those seeking the Fadas.

Go néirí go geal libh!

About TG4 abroad

There is TG4.ie the website and there is also an app also called TG4.

Posted by .

Ah, thank you for the help, much appreciate it!