Tune ID

Re: Tune ID

sounds a bit like a slide version of ‘Nae Guid Luck Aboot the Hoose’ - wouldn’t be the first time a Scottish song has been made into a slide.

Thanks ’ Theirlandais’ it seem to be the one - I don’t know who made this messy link - me perhaps 😉

Posted by .

Christy Taylor You are right I think, I found the song/hornpipe here, it was i A,
but here it’s transposed to D like the slide, an it’s easy to hear the same pattern, in the melody.

X:1
T:Nae Luck Aboot The Hoose
R:hornpipe
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Dmaj
A | d>BA>F G>AB>c | d>BA>F E3 A | d>BA>F G>AB>d | A>GF>E D3 A|
d>BA>F G>AB>c | d>BA>F E3 A | d>BA>F G>AB>d | A>GF>E D2 D>E |
F2 F>D G2 G>E | F2 F>D E3 A| F2 F>D G>AB>d | A>GF>E D2 D>E|
(3FFF F>D (3GGG G>E | (3FFF F>D E3 A | (3FFF F>D G>AB>d | A>GF>E D3 ||

Posted by .

ceili, yes there’s also an English version, a Morris Dance I think, called ‘Washing Day’ -its another of those tunes that gets around various traditions.

"The Weshin Day" (to give it its correct Geordie spelling) is a Tyneside song written by one Thomas Wilson in the late nineteenth century. Northumbrian music and song adopted many Scottish tunes through the influence of musicians such as James Hill, born in Dundee but active as a fiddler on Tyneside. "The Weshin Day" was consciously set to the Scottish tune "Nae Guid Luck About the House". The words are available in Conrad Bladey’s "Beuk of Newcassel Songs" at:
http://www.cbladey.com/sang/priests3.html#The%20Weshin-day