Buying Instruments From EU Post Brexit

Buying Instruments From EU Post Brexit

Anyone know what the rules are if you are a buyer in the UK for new and second hand instruments from EU after 1 January 2021.

Re: Buying Instruments From EU Post Brexit

On a related subject.
I always stick a small mandolin and a couple of whistles in my hand luggage when jetting off anywhere ( Greece is favourite).
Does anyone know whether I will still be allowed to do that without forms and tarrifs?
Or where I can find out?

Hey Andy, if you’re carrying it with you’re fine. Specially if they’re yours already. You don’t pay tax to carry your own stuff with you. I’ve never been asked about hand luggage but my checked-in luggage has been checked at customs occasionally. My answer to the typical "Anything to declare?" question is "No". They’ve never gone further than that.

Funny story about import/export. A couple of friends of mine from Spain got a few flutes from Patrick Olwell. They calculated what cost would be if Patrick sent them over by courier (delivery + import tax + VAT). Instead, they decided to go on holiday to the US, visit Patrick and bring the flutes with them as hand luggage. They probably spent a bit more money on the trip but they had a great time and didn’t give any money to "the Man". 🙂

Posted by .

That being said. In the case of Spain at least, if you’re travelling back to Spain you """should""" declare whatever you’ve bought outside the EU and pay tax on it. It doesn’t matter if you’re carrying as hand-luggage or checked-in.

Posted by .

>You don’t pay tax to carry your own stuff with you.

This is true, but you need to be able to convince customs officials this is the case. Given the price of a Ryanair ticket, they will be well aware that a lot of people courier high value instruments personally rather than send them. This didn’t matter a jot when we were in the EU but it does now.

> Anyone know what the rules are if you are a buyer in the UK for new and second hand instruments from EU after 1 January 2021.

No import duties to pay, but you will be charged VAT at the prevailing rate and a fee to the courier for administering it. There may be a cutoff below which the VAT will be waived (it’s around £30 for non-EU import at the moment) but I think that hasn’t been announced yet so far as I know. Make sure the retailer doesn’t charge you their local VAT as they would have up till now.

Posted by .

If your mando is valuable you’ll be wise to have some proof of prior ownership. (Just to add emphasis)

Posted by .