A pig, a badger, and two cats…..

A pig, a badger, and two cats…..

Hello from Vermont - I just came across a wonderful, supposedly true account of an eccentric postmaster from Lismore, Ireland, and his adventure: In January, 1821, 96-year-old John Huddy, on a wager, drove a Dunvargan oyster tub from Lismore to Fermoy, a distance of about 17 miles. The tub was drawn by a pig, a badger, two cats, a goose, and a hedgehog. On his head Mr. Huddy wore a large red nightcap. He held a pig-driver’s whip in one hand and a cow’s horn in the other. He blew the horn to encourage his team onward and to announce the delivery of the mail.

If one doesn’t already exist, this sounds like excellent material for a tune/song, although a song might be better in order to tell the story. There is also an account that says the postmaster’s name was Billy Hurley but most of the info I found listed John Huddy.

I hope some of you composer-types will be inspired! And Happy New Year and good riddance to 2020!

Re: A pig, a badger, and two cats…..

When I read the subject line to this discussion, I thought it would continue "… walk into a bar …"

Not Dunvargan— Dungarvan. Aside from that one wee slip the story is absolutely true.

It must be true because it’s about Ireland. I once had an Irish friend who used to preface all his stories with "You might not believe this, believe it or not".

Posted by .

Oops, sorry about the Dungarvan spelling - typo. And I almost added "walked into a bar". Great minds, etc.

Marvelous! Up there with the tale they tell about the cauthic clad piper.

We have a coyote, a racoon, a possum, and two cats in the yard. Does that count?

It’s obviously a tall story. I can’t say anything about the other animals, but there is no way to make cats do anything they don’t want to do, which in my experience is pretty much anything, never mind dragging an object for 17 miles.

A pig could have done that (Mr. Huddy walking alongside, driving the pig along). The other animals would have done well to keep up, especially the hedgehog.

Well not so much ‘keep up’. If you put the cats in front of the badger and the hedgehog in front of the cats they would be running for their lives (and hedgehogs are pretty fast as I remember). The flaw in all that is, how fast can a 96 year old man run? Maybe if his dad was chasing him…… BTW, when is somebody going to come up with the jig?

Posted by .

Yes, please, a jig would be excellent! And an artist to illustrate the whole scene!

//Not Dunvargan— Dungarvan. Aside from that one wee slip the story is absolutely true.//

David, actually it was 3 cats and one badger, a swan (not a goose), a possum (not a hedgehog), and his nightcap was green, not red. The tub contained compressed eel heads, not oysters. His name was Tiley O’Reilly, and he was an undercover cop. Oh, and the wheels of the tub were made of reinforced oyster shells.

Apart from that, the story checks out fine.

Yeah David, get your FACTS right!

Posted by .