Pat Begley, RIP

Pat Begley, RIP

I just got the news that Pat Begley passed away on 29th December, after an illness.

Pat was a familiar figure in and around Southampton, and hosted / organised many, many Irish sessions, both in Southampton and Wickham too.

Re: Pat Begley, RIP

My condolences to Angie and his family.
He was always welcome at sessions in Miltown Malbay when he was in town.
Friendly and a joy to play beside.
RIP.

Hi Jim
That’s sad indeed!
Lovely man, happy music, happy days. It was through Pat that I met you Jim.
What was that place in Southampton? The Gantry?

Kind thoughts and condolences to Angie, Kate, Lucy, all family and friends.

RIP Pat

All the best
Brian x

Hi Brian, I think it was either the Talking Heads or the Bent Brief. Must have been a decade ago, at least!

Very sad news
Pat was a great session host- always encouraging and it is a pleasure to have played with him.

So sad to loose Pat. A great man for holding a session together. A good friend.

Rest In Peace Pat. You will be missed in Hampshire and Miltown Malbay.

So sorry to hear of the passing of Pat.
Attended some great sessions at Talking Heads, picked
up lots of new tunes and met some really nice people.
Bazz IoW

very sad news, pat was a lovely man, It was always nice to see him around Southampton and at Wickham festival, last time I saw him was at Southampton airport, we were going to Dublin, god bless you.

Kate told me the sad news at the time but I have only just seen this thread - I met Pat back in the old days (about 1975/1978) at the Marsh Hotel (long gone now) by the Itchen Bridge - with Tom Hanley, Jamie Davidson, Fiddlin Doc Baker, Pat the Hat, Chris Rooney , to name but a few, after which we would sleep on his floor - lovely man, always a twinkle in his eye and always a warm welcome, love to Angie and family

Posted by .

Pat Begley made me welcome at the Hobbit 3 years ago. His quiet encouraging eye when he made me play polkas is rare to find at a session when you first arrive wondering about what the standard of play is & if you’ll fit in. I felt lucky to know him & his wife Angie both of whom had that rare quality of ‘come all ye’ the true spirit of traditional music. That Dublin tone & humour made me feel right at home. I miss him.