B/C Box Bass/Chord Transcriptions

B/C Box Bass/Chord Transcriptions

One of my recent hobbies has been writing up tune transcriptions for B/C box complete with bass and chord indications for players learning to play the bass side.

When I started learning to play the basses, I found it hard to find such information anywhere, so I hope these transcriptions will be useful to other B/C players who are taking on the challenge of learning the basses.

In these transcriptions, I am not attempting to teach how to backup traditional Irish music. That is an entirely different skill than the physical challenge of dealing with the basses themselves.

My assumption is that you can already play the melodies on the treble side of your instrument and are looking to learn to include the bass and chord buttons in your playing and either already know how to determine the appropriate backup chords from the melody or are willing learn bass/chord arrangements by rote as a starting point.

For more information, and the 25 tune transcriptions in PDF format, please visit:

http://michaeleskin.com/box

Cheers and thanks,

Michael

Re: B/C Box Bass/Chord Transcriptions

Decided to add one more, so up to 26.

Thanks a lot for this Michael! I got excited with the box quite recently and I started playing it with a mobile app for Android. I am practising a few tunes already and I absolutely love it. Maybe my background as an harmonica player can help to learn the box. But anyway I am sure I won’t stop playing and I think that thanks to you I will be able to attempt playing the base.

One thing I need prove is that it is possible to play Castillian Traditional Music in original keys with a B/C box. This music is played in very uncommon keys because the main instrument, the dulzaina, a fully keyed small oboe, is tuned in F#. Therefore the main keys are F# Major, B Major and E Major, and the minor keys related to them. I have the feeling that for the melody it is possible to play in a comfortable manner. Think that the main row would be the B row. But I’m afraid there would be a problem with the base.

Yes, the common bass setup on an 8-bass B/C box often is limited to D, G, C, A, E, and F with generally duplication of the G and D to allow both push and draw bass and chords. You might want to consider perhaps a custom bass tuning.

Okey! I see Michael! thanks a lot! For the moment I will try the melody to see how it feels to use the B row as the main one. And of course I will also start trying your tabs when I get to play the melody. This will be a really long process for me, but I will enjoy every minute of it.

I think they thought people might actually want to play mostly in the key of B… 🙂