WTB Cittern, Buchanan or other

WTB Cittern, Buchanan or other

Hello all. I hope that you’re all OK in these interesting times. So, after a long time in lockdown conditions when frankly I haven’t had have much enthusiasm for playing, I’ve decided that I need to do more! Hence I thought I’d look for a new instrument.

I’m after a cittern which can be tuned in fifths - CGDAE or GDAEB.

I did have a Hathway cittern, which was a lovely instrument, but it was designed for modal tunings. I’m not really after that. A fitted pick-up would be a bonus, but not essential. I’d want it to be in good condition. I wouldn’t mind a few scratches and signs of wear, but it’d need to play in tune and be structurally sound.

(Yes, I’ve bought a couple of lemons in the past after being assured they were in good condition and played in tune, so I’d rather avoid that!)

I’d be particularly interested if there was a Buchanan cittern out there looking for a new home. However, I’d entertain other options.

Obviously, nowadays, it’d need to be sent by courier. I’m in South Wales.

Re: WTB Cittern, Buchanan or other

You might have some luck if ye post a WTB classified over on the Mandolin Cafe website - checking their classifieds at the moment the only cittern on offer is a Sobell in Yorkshire that was posted for sale at the beginning of the month, but a WTB post might ferret out some folks who’ve got a cittern languishing unplayed.

You don’t mention what you’re willing to spend. You could, for example, check out Fylde citterns. The current price list for new ones puts their two models at £2,500 and £3,750. I don’t have one of them (nor am I on commission from Roger Bucknall) but I have other Fylde instruments and can vouch for their quality.

Posted by .

Triplet upstairs - Thanks. I think I did join Mandolin Cafe some time ago, although I don’t frequent it much. I’ll go and have a look, although I suspect that maybe people without much posting record (like me) can’t post in the Classifieds. Thanks.

Bazza - Thanks too. I’d rather get a second -hand instrument for economic reasons! I can’t really stretch to those prices.

I’ll see if anyone does have an under-employed instrument which can go to fifths.