2021 thoughts about ABC editor for Mac?

2021 thoughts about ABC editor for Mac?

Unfortunately EasyABC no longer works on the latest versions of Mac OS. I downloaded MuseScore but so far it’s a little intimidating. Any other suggestions?

Re: 2021 thoughts about ABC editor for Mac?

Buy a PC 🙁

EasyABC no longer works. There aren’t really any viable alternatives.

Online editors like http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php might be of use for a single tune. But for tune books, we are out of luck on Mac.

http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php does have a "Display Book" option and is able to export multiple tunes in PDF format, with either one tune per page or multiple tunes per page. I just tried it out with my accordion transcriptions.

For example, I did all my individual B/C box bass/chord PDF transcriptions on this page using the mandolintab converter.

As I test, I just now added the entire 28-tune collection as a single PDF, also generated from the mandolintab converter "tune per page" PDF export option:

http://michaeleskin.com/box

You don’t even have to check Display Book (that option shows what’s in a possible "Book" field).

Just paste your tunes, submit, and then choose either "pdf several tunes per page" or "pdf one tune per page".

I copy/pasted the first 10 settings of Drowsy Maggie. Several tunes per page gives me a 4 page document, while one tune per page gives me a 10 page document.

My experience is that the more versatile a program the longer it takes to get to grips with it. So, yes, MuseScore will probably feel intimidating but, with perseverance, you’ll gain in confidence.

Through work, several years ago, I switched to Sibelius (work paid for it). There was a lot of frustration and swearing to begin with but I eventually worked out how to get round the defaults and would never go back now. It gives much classier pdfs and it’s just so much easier for the multi-instrument arrangements that I do. The only time I write in ABC now is for this site.

I’m "stalled" at MacOS Mojave. That keeps EasyABC operational. I personally feel that the MacOS has been devolving since Snow Leopard but that OS is not an option on the newer hardware and as things eventually wear out, the choices get narrower. The alternate option to a PC though would be to run an older version of MacOS or even Windows in VMWare or Parallels. I have been using VMWare with Windows 7 for quite some time and as VMWare "upgrades" their product, it starts to break the older versions of Windows. The future is becoming less and less promising with each software "evolution".

Hi Lynn (nice to meet people from the Heatons’ VGS here!).

On my Mac I use Tunebook (http://www.jhlabs.com/tunebook/mac/), which I like very much and works on the latest versions of MacOS. I like its built-in player (nice selection of instruments, speed and loop control) and its easy interface. Sometimes it crashes I don’t know why, but then I simply open it again.

Sergio

Is there a link to the documentation or functionality for the program you’re missing? Maybe we could start a new cross platform project on GitHub

I’m the author of Tunebook. The Mac version is really just a prototype, but works OK and I use it quite a lot for editing tunes. However, I’ve not made any changes in years apart from keeping it running when there are OS updates which affect it. This is because I just don’t have the time due to having a real job which takes all my time these days. If there’s anyone out there who’d like to take it and/or the iOS version on, please get in touch. I’d love to see these apps updated and improved, but I just don’t have the time to do it myself. I’m very happy to discuss it and answer any question that anyone has.

Lynn: when you wrote that EasyABC no longer works on a Mac, I don’t entirely agree. I’m using the latest OS (Big Sur, Version 11.1) and while not everything works (e.g. the ‘Play’ option—but this hasn’t worked for some time!), I find that the most important features still function OK. I can Open and Save files, copy/paste ABCs from The Session, Transpose tunes and print off the result. Admittedly I never use the more advanced features but Mac users like me who stick to the basics can still find it useable.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sergio, thanks for the tip about Tunebook, I didn’t realize it was available for Mac, I’ll give that a try with Jerry’s disclaimers in mind. I have it on my Ipad but don’t really use it. Andrew, thanks for the new version of EasyABC! I will check that out too.