Feadóg Stain Tutor book PDF

Feadóg Stain Tutor book PDF

Around two years ago I created a PDF file of the Feadóg Stain tutor book along with MP3 files of the accompanying cassette. I sent the PDF to several members who had requested it.
I have had a request from another member for a copy but cannot find the original on my computer. I must have inadvertently deleted it somehow (ah! the joys of ageing).
If anyone I sent this to still has this on file could you please send it to me at: david_kennedy@ozemail.com.au
I would really appreciate it. I don’t need the audio files only the PDF of the book.
Thanks in anticipation,
Dave

Re: Feadóg Stain Tutor book PDF

Thanks Theirlandais, I should have revisited the original post. Many thanks.
Dave

Is this book and recording in the public domain now?

It looks like a very nice resource for my students.

That is a photo of Michael Allen on the front cover (he wrote it according to the script).
I met him @ a Blairgowrie Festival in the 70’s. He had come over with Ted Furey I think.
He mostly played the flute. He was (and I hope still is) a nice bloke.

The original copy which I still have says “First printed 1971” - so 50 years old this year. Isn’t “public domain” after 70 years ? To the best of my knowledge, the accompanying recording only ever came out as a cassette tape. I think I still have one somewhere. It is an excellent tutor for Irish tin whistle, it’s surprising that Comhaltas never updated and re-issued it.
PS - AngusF - I was still living in Blairgowrie at that time, and although I was aware of the festival, was just beginning to take an interest in the music. I remember my parents taking me to a fund-raising concert in Blairgowrie Town Hall a few months before the festival, on a Thursday night, and me and my brother were mighty p*ssed off that we were missing “Top Of The Pops” and “The Man From UNCLE” 🙂

Posted by .

Would it be possible to ask Comhaltas for permission to use it?

A photocopy of it got me started.

Great book. I really like the way it explains visualising scales, I haven’t seen that method before and makes a lot more sense in my head than the other explanations I’ve read.

Just for anyone using it as a tutor book, I *think* it’s got confused with the correct finger to use for cuts on page 20 (someone’s corrected in faint pencil) and the correct lower finger to use on all the rolls (from page 21)

Thanks for sharing, great read!

I don’t see anything not “correct” on page 20. The notes “D”,“E” and “F#” are suggested to cut with the “A” finger, which from a recent discussion here seemed to be the commonest approach.
He also suggests cutting “G” with the “A” finger, which is not what I would do, but it’s not incorrect.
“A” and “B” are suggested to cut with “c” which is what I would do.
There is no “correct”, only “preferred”, or at the strongest, “approved”.
I don’t see anything not “correct” on page 21.

Posted by .

Ah dear, memories. I picked up a copy of that in London in 1974 and brought it back to Australia. Those of us who were around at the time will never forget “And now put the turd finger on the turd hole….”.

I enjoyed a flute workshop with Mick Allen, in Listowel, in the run up to the Fleadh in 1974. My diary reveals:

“20 Aug 1974. To Scoil Éigse. Had to write essay on “Musicians and Groups I Like”, and why. Attended flute classes (Mick Allen), lecture on the modes and recital by Donal de Barra, Dan Dowd, Mary Bergin [Box, pipes, whistle]. Tunes to learn were two slides.

Attended talk by Séamus Mac Mathúna - “Great Recordings”.

Ah, giants walked the land in those days….

@Kenny On page 20 he says “lift the third finger on the left hand… this is called cutting the A” (I think he means lift the second finger of the left hand).

On page 21 onwards he says eg “For an E roll, tip the open E hole with the third finger of the right hand” (I think he means the D hole) and the same for the other rolls.

It’s not the technique that’s wrong I just thing he’s just mislabeled the fingers/notes for a few of the cuts and rolls = pointing fit out re. the comment of using it for beginners as a tutor book as might be confusing 🙂

No - it’s your understanding of the terminology that’s wrong. The book is right.

Posted by .

What he shows by grace notes is what cutting with the third and first fingers do, as he says.

He is naming the fingers after the note that comes out of the hole they cover, not the note that comes out when you put that finger down. I have always done that since I started with that book. Someone else get say which is correct .

@David50 Ooooh!!! I see! My apologies you’ve explained it perfectly, when he says put your third left finger down on the open E hole, he does mean to put it on the bottom most hole (I’d have referred to it as a D hole, but see how that doesn’t make as much sense). Apologies 🙂

Thanks Dave and Theirlandais! I’ve had this book for years, sans recording. What a treat to finally hear!

Posted by .