SVG to ABC???

SVG to ABC???

My EasyABC crashed just as I finished inputting a long piece of music. (Damn and blast!!!)
I had hoped that the temporary file cache would keep at least a partial copy, but no.
It does keep a rake of SVG files of your complete progress in musical notation but not a sign of any ABC.
Does anyone know of a quick way to reverse engineer an SVG file back to the original ABC? Or am I lumbered with having to re-enter the ABC code?

Re: SVG to ABC???

I don’t know a quick way.
If you display the svg file(s) you will have the “dots”. This might make it easier to reassemble the abc.
HINT: Create this abc in a plain text file and save before pasting into EasyABC. If EasyABC crashes again look for syntax errors in your abc.

There’s a little program called Audiveris that converts PNGs and PDFs of sheetmusic into music xml. So you could convert your SVG to a PNG or PDF, put it into Audiveris, export it as a music xml, and import the xml into easyABC. Roundabout way of doing it, but could be faster than doing it by hand.

Thanks for the info, Kirill. I’ll give it a whirl. It’ll probably take longer than just typing the ABC again, but it’ll be interesting. I’ll post back and let you know how it goes.

Do you know what caused EasyABC to crash?

Posted by .

’Fraid I don’t, AB. I’d entered the last note, moved the mouse pointer to adjust the notation window, clicked on the window border and everything greyed out - no response at all. I closed anything else that was open; nothing flashy - just the browser, file explorer and notepad - but still no response. It’s the first time this has happened.

I put it down to EasyABC’s petulance. It was sulking because I was expecting it to deal with something non-folky.

Kirill, I’ve installed Audiveris with the required JDK ver. 8 and Audiveris runs OK. It promises great things converting PDF’s to XML’s. It goes through the whole transcribing process but when it comes to savng the file, it can’t deliver. It keeps reporting it is unable to create the necessary folders or file. It can’t write to the hard disk.

I presumed this must be a Windows security problem and I’ve removed security restrictions on disk and taken out User Account Control for apps and given full control to the security group ‘Everyone’. But still no joy.

Any suggestions?

Hooray! I’ve got it working. The problem was W10 security. ‘Controlled Folder Acess’ is the villain. Once that was turned off Audiveris via JDK was able to write to the disk.

And Audiveris works beautifully. Not perfectly - though the imperfections could well be EasyABC’s fault. You end up with a few invalid characters in the ABC code that have to be stripped out and some parts of the lyrics get duplicated. Whatever; the whole process of PDF conversion to XML to ABC takes less than five minutes. And it handles multiple voices/parts, piano accompaniment, lyrics and probably a lot of other stuff I haven’t tried yet. It’s going to be very useful.

Thanks, Kirill, for recommending it.

Great to hear that you got it working, and sorry that I wasn’t here when you were having some trouble.