Does anyone know the name of this hornpipe (usually played with dotted rhythm):

D major 4/4
: fe|dCdA FAdf | edcB A2g2| (3fga f2d2 (efg e2d2 | CdeC A2fe |
dCDA FAdf | edcB A2g2 | (3fga f2d2 (efg e2C2 |d2dC d4| :
fg | a2af defg | afaf d2g2 |(3fga f2d2 (efg e2d2 | CdeC A2fg |
a2af defg | afaf d2g2 |(3fga f2d2 (efg e2C2 |d2dC d2fg|
a2af defg | afaf d2g2 |(3fga f2d2 (efg e2d2 |CdeC A2fe|
dCDA FAdf | edcB A2g2 | (3fga f2d2 (efg e2C2 |d2dC d4|

The first couple of bars resemble Rickett’s Hornpipe, but this tune is distinct. I learned it in a session many years ago, but I never knew the name and it’s always bothered me …

Re: Name of Hornpipe sought

I’ve heard it before, I’m sure. It’s quite close to Rickett’s (I know that tune as "The Manchester Hornpipe"), but it differs in parts, as you say. I’m hearing it in my head played by an English musician, possibly Northumbrian. I’ll keep trying to bring into focus, unless someone else gets there first.

Since writing the post it struck me that the tune is used as the melody for the song "A Bottle o the Best", by Jack Foley. But I think he used an existing hornpipe tune.

I always thought "The Bottle of The Best" was more or less the same tune as The Manchester Hornpipe. Not identical but song writers will usually alter the odd note here and there when they borrow tunes.

I’m not sure about the one above but I’ll take your word that it’s a different tune.

FYI, the C you want is c to get it in the right octave.

@ Johnny Jay….. I was pretty sure that I’d read somewhere that the tune to ‘The Bottle of Beer’ song was taken from the Manchester Hornpipe, and it turns out after much investigating, that it was you that said so (last year).
https://thesession.org/discussions/44141#comment881934 I believe you are right. It’s the same tune, just altered for the sake of the singer.

Posted by .

Yes, I’m sure that’s the same tune.

It may not be the one that Borderer is asking about. I’m not very good at playing off the "abc" although I can read and write it. I find it easier to convert or transcribe it first.

I apologise, folks, for the poor quality of my ABCs. It’s only the second time I’ve tried to write out a complete tune like this. I see I’ve sometimes written ( instead of (3, but I hope you still get the general gist of the tune.

If a name is not known, would it be a bad thing to add Borderer’s tune to the Manchester Hornpipe, in "tunes"?

In many cases in "tunes" there are tunes included on a tune’s page which are borderline cases between being versions of the main tune, and separate tunes. The distinction is often arbitrary anyhow, seems to me. (There are completely different tunes included under the same tune, and there are multiple tune-listings of the same tune under different titles, all the time in "tunes".)

Thanks, Kenny. Then the Blackbird it is!

I’d say "The Manchester" hornpipe was a more "authentic" name for it, almost certainly older, and possibly the original name. We learned the setting we played from the late Jimmy Young [RIP], when he was a member of the band "Crannachan", and I believe he had it from Alan MacDonald, the piper from Glenuig. Jimmy called it "The Blackbird" when he played it, anyway, but I’m not sure anyone else did apart from us.

Posted by .