Totally not the same tune?

Totally not the same tune?

Cucanandy and My Mind Will Never Be Easy
(and also Happy To Meet, Sorry To Part)
think they’re distinct enough not to count as the same tune

Re: Totally not the same tune?

These tunes?
https://thesession.org/tunes/191 & https://thesession.org/tunes/1374

Are you sure about the totally? I mean, on this site, they are both slip jigs and have melodic similarities that mean I would find it difficult to say they are "totally not the same" unlike, say, The Kesh and Cooley’s.

I mean that the Session has them listed as the same tune with different names; i found this out today because i made a set of Cucunandy/ My Mind Will Never Be Easy/ Chloe’s Passion and at least for my versions, the tunes are different enough not only to be distinct but to feel like nice changes too.

So which settings of the two tunes are closest to what you play?

They’re related tunes, but distinct. For one, My Mind Will Never Be Easy works best as a slip jig, but not as well as a hop jig whereas Cucannandy is the opposite. But they’ve got some nice melodic differences, too.

But wait until you hear about "Another Jig Will Do"!

Posted by .

Learned Cucanandy probably from Whistlestop by Brian Hughes originally, and then reminded myself of it with the Gloaming recently. My version of My Mind will never be easy is basically the same as Mike McGoldrick’s from Morning Rory.
Play the first tune slow, and then swing the last few bars into the the change as if you’re going to do a rallentando ending of Cucanandy, then pick the pace up into My Mind will never be easy. Probably not all that session-friendly, but its a lush set.

TheHappyCamper, if you believe an alias for a tune is incorrect, you can remove it (use the "edit this tune" button).

Posted by .

I wouldn’t put them as aliases for one another, but they definitely look like they are related.

Great music Nico- thanks for the references.
That’s how Santoro and I play it.

Hey David, you’re welcome - I’d say most everybody I know plays it like that, and most of them would have at least listened to her singing, if not learned it direct from that recording. She’s the best, after all.

Posted by .