New E string for fiddle - help needed

New E string for fiddle - help needed

I’ve ordered an E string online, arriving early Feb. I don’t know how to fit strings. Is there any kind person in Glasgow who can do this in the time of Covid? I can let you have my phone nos if you send me a message. Jenny Wrigley in Kirkwall (teacher) always did this for me. I could travel a wee way out of Glasgow.

Thanks (PS I get Covid jag on 1st Feb).

Re: New E string for fiddle - help needed

Susan, I can’t believe that you don’t know how to fit strings. It’s really quite simple. But sure, if you don’t know you need somebody to show you. I’d suggest that you just take your fiddle into a suitable shop and get an obliging person to show you how to put it on with a promise of ordering your future strings through them (then go home and write a tune called "Broken Promises").

Posted by .

On second thoughts- Come on Susan, have a go! … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZybayew6VI

And remember if you want to change a whole set, you do it in the order of A,D,G,E, and NEVER take all the strings off at the same time (you need to maintain some tension on your bridge and sound post).

Posted by .

You do need to learn to change strings yourself, but for this and a lot more it might be worth your while hooking up with the good people at Glasgow Fiddle Workshop: https://gfw.scot/

Music shops are not an option at the moment unless they double up as grocers. 🙂 There used to be a few in Ireland like this. In Dingle, I remember visiting a shoe shop with a bar.

Anyway, Gobby is right. It’s good to have a go yourself and that’s the best way to learn.
Be very, very careful though and tighten the string very slowly and gradually with the peg and keep checking the bridge all the time to ensure that it retains its postion. I learned the hard way after having to replace two bridges in the first week after I bought my first fiddle.

If you have a fine tuner, you can do the final tweaks at the end but it’s a good idea to have the string more or less in tune before then. Also, be sure that the tiny plastic tube thingy is covering the string and protecting the groove on the bridge unless there has already been "bridge parchment" applied.

A shoe shop with a bar? Now that’s civilization. Fill yer boots boyo!

Posted by .

More a cobbler’s than a show shop - stood behind the counter of the cobbler side one night for pints and watching a great session! Civilization indeed! Plus, loved that the people I was with spoke Irish when they were out for fun; English was the language for work/official stuff. My school Irish was not much use. Great night though!!

Wow! I can’t believe how advanced you are over there!

Posted by .

I would have ordered 2 - 🙂

and congrats on being lined up for the vaccine!

I needed my sound post adjusted during the 1st lockdown and sent an email to enquiries@theviolinshop-glasgow.co.uk not expecting to get a reply.
I assumed I’d have to wait until the lockdown had ended but the man who works there asked me to bring my violin in. He was very helpful, I’d suggest sending an email first and waiting for his reply. Hopefully he can change it and show you how to do it in future.

> And remember if you want to change a whole set, you do it in the order of A,D,G,E

That’s interesting - I didn’t know that. What’s the logic behind it?

Posted by .

Calum you’re doing the inside strings first, followed by the outside pair. Makes peg and pegbox access as simple as possible.
Alex.

You do need to string up from the inside out when you string up for the first time or if all the strings have been taken off. But on a normal string change it makes no difference, as long as you change one string at a time.

@Calum… I read it in Matt Cranich’s book.

Posted by .

Advice from The String Zone [ https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/info/faqs ] :

"Always fit a new set of strings one at a time, otherwise the bridge may not go back in the right place and/or the soundpost could fall down. Fit in the order G, E, D, A. (C, A, G, D). Rub soft pencil lead e.g. 2B or 3B in the groove of the bridge and top nut.

"If possible wind the string once round the peg shaft away from the head and then back towards the head so that the string fills the gap up to the pegbox wall. Check that the bridge remains upright whilst pulling the string slowly up to pitch.

"If the string comes with a bridge protector e.g. a small tube or pad, this should always be used in the absence of professional advice. Be careful not to tune all metal strings too sharp as they can snap."

Hmm.. when I read Jim’s post, I realised that my advice of ADGE is to do with tuning up, not actually putting the strings on. I have just always put them on in that same way, changing the strings one at a time.

Posted by .

Thanks to all for contributions (I didn’t expect so many replies!). JJ’s "can’t go to music shops unless they double up as grocers" made me cackle. Reminds me of those dual purpose shops in Ireland, eg a bar cum funeral parlour - or is that a myth?

Fionnlagh - I’ll try the Violin Shop, I know it and like it a lot. When I needed money, I sold my "smooth" violin (no corners) there and got a very good price. I wish I was less dim about going online - it’s my advanced age, you know…….

By the way, some "smooth" violins were made in the 18th century, Strads even?
Agreed, I ought to learn how to do the job myself but I am cack-handed and fell on the ice recently and cracked my elbow bone.

I’m sure if you explain the situation he’ll want to help. That’s a shame you had to sell it, I’ve seen them before they look really nice, not sure how comfortable they’d be though

Failing that Mark M’s post about Glasgow Fiddle Workshop is a good option

Lye Valley Ned - lovely, glad not a myth

I have emailed the Glasgow Violin Shop and will await a reply. It’s near Kelvinbridge, isn’t it. My E string arrived today. Cheers.

Re smooth violins, I got it from my ex Bari for my 70th b’day, at Hobgoblin in B’ham. They are mean and gave back only £30 for my old fiddle though the bow had cost £50 alone. I reckon in UK’s 2nd city, shops tend to be v commercially minded. Birmingham started off in Medieval times - a market started by John de Bermingham (?), no river in Brum. Canal system fab though, Thomas Telford (Scot) much involved with it in 18th C. Irrelevance as usual!!

Ned : d’you think funeral parlour with bar did a good trade at wakes?

Ways to remember strings of the violin:-
G reedy D ogs A dore E ating

G irls D on’t A lways E xaggerate (found these handy as a beginner)

Yes, they all say one should tune from "A" string, for some reason. PS Am going to Glasgow Violin Shop on Tue afternoon (2nd Feb). William McKenzie will fit string. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

You’ve gotten a lot of good tips, so I’ll not add to the list. I will say this however, the old boy I apprenticed under for repair work, would say a sound post that falls down when the tension’s off, hasn’t been fitted right.

That is surely untrue ?? They are not glued in and things must move.

Posted by .

I fitted a new fingerboard to a fiddle neck a few years back. To do that, obviously, I had to remove all the strings. I don’t remember the sound post moving.

The bridge usually goes between the two notches on the f holes so repositioning shouldn’t be a problem if you have to remove all the strings. You just have to make sure that you keep adjusting to counter the forward pull of the strings as they are brought up to pitch.

Then why do luthiers sometimes use a bridge ‘jiggy’ thing to maintain the string pressure when they change a bridge?

Posted by .

Do they ‘reely’?

Apologies - couldn’t resist it.

Donald, I think in Scotland they are reely called ‘Thingy Mc Jigs’!

Posted by .

Especially more so as ee git aulder.
Noo, whaur did ah leave ma thingy Macjig?

LOL! Susan, they may just have caused a few of the wakes… 🙂