Teetotaller’s CD?

Teetotaller’s CD?

Does anyone know if The Teetotallers (being Martin Hayes, Kevin Crawford and John Doyle of course) have recorded a CD? I consulted the great god Google on this very question earlier, but the omnipotent One appears to have no knowledge of such a recording. I’m hoping, with reckless optimism, that they might have managed to record it in a cave one night out of sight of His all seeing eye. And that it is sold surreptitiously by word of mouth and passed beneath the tables of taverns known only to a few. Please, someone, say that it is so.

Re: Teetotallers’ CD?

They did so around a decade ago, but it was never released.

Posted by .

Re: Teetotaller’s CD?

‘it was never released’ - well they sure missed a marketing opportunity there. Meanwhile there’s plenty Teetotallers music on Youtube…………….. hang on, that’s probably why they didnt release it , cos that’s where everyone goes to hear stuff!

I’d be more than willing to buy a CD now than to watch and have constant adverts before, during and at the end of YouTube videos.
Used to sort go from one video to another and so on but not anymore. Better things to do with my time…..
Sure, YouTube is a business but they’ve overcooked it now. I don’t waste my time with it so, nice one YouTube - not.

I feel your pain John. There is indeed some great stuff on YouTube. But you have to watch a load of b*llocks adverts about people pretending they have wine cellars in their kitchens every five minutes. With quirky music. Hence the query about the CD.

It wasn’t released because the band wasn’t happy with it. The problem was that each was member was dissatisfied with different bits (predominantly related to their own playing - a producer’s nightmare).

Posted by .

Superb musicians but they don’t look particularly happy with each other. That shouldn’t really matter as looks can be deceiving but maybe they could drop the ‘Teetotallers’ and have a few beers together.

Michael you have led us out of bondage! Wait that doesn’t sound quite right. You have led us out of the desert.

I use it all the time to get .mp3 audio tracks to slow down and learn using Transcribe. Just be careful about not downloading massive numbers of videos all at once or you might end up in YouTube jail. 🙂

I paid for my copy, not sure what features you get if you just use the free version.

There’s a free online YouTube downloader: y2mate. It’s worked fine for me - MP4’s for video or just MP3’s for audio only. You have to be careful where you click, though; there are a few big green buttons inviting you to DOWNLOAD. Do not be tempted; scroll down a bit to find the actual MP3/4 downloads.
There are plenty of other free online YouTube downloaders. Scout around to see which works best for you.

Good to know!

I’d rather listen to cds with a glass of wine or beer. In Scotland teetotallers sometimes called "Rechabites" - I like that. Is it from the Bible?

In the 19th and early 20th centuries the Independent Order of Rechabites was one of the groups belonging to the wider temperance movement. Their name was derived from the Bible, and I suspect that it came to be used as a synonym for teetotallers generally. In the famous Para Handy stories by Neil Munro, Dan MacPhail, the engineer of the Clyde puffer, was always a Rechabite when he was at home with his wife in Glasgow, but he was never troubled by temperance principles when out with his shipmates in the various harbours that the Vital Spark visited.

Anyone know if The Teetotallers are actual abstainers from alcohol or was it just a handy name inspired by the well-known reel?
ps GW - I didnt know the band were unhappy about the recording - yes they are all brilliant musicians individually but maybe the chemistry wasn’t right when they were put together

Hi Susan
You’re right on 2 counts
The Independent Order of Rechabites still exist and avow temperance. They were a secret society established mid 1800s. They’re quite active in Australia and promote alcohol and drug free festivals.
When I lived in the North/Border Country there were some former temperance pubs about.
Biblically, there were Rechabites, descendants of Rechabites.

All the best
Brian x

Ha! I like the story of Rechabites & Para Handy and crew. I’m a great fan of Para Handy. William McIlvanney mentions Rechabites in his Laidlaw trilogy. I admit I hadn’t heard the term before.
Michael, can I ask, does the 4KDownload program work on other formats besides Youtube?
The reason I ask is some of my music mates (far more talented than me) have posted stuff on Facebook. Would be nice to download some of those, put them on a stick and listen to them (while I’m cooking or doing the dishes 🙂 or whatever.)

… ooops
Descendants of Rechab

Bx

@christy taylor. In an interview soon after they formed one of them (can’t remember who) said they were all teetotallers.

Minutes after writing my post on the Rechabites above, I remembered it wasn’t MacPhail who was the Rechabite, but Dougie the First Mate (although only when he was at home in Glasgow). If I remember rightly, he once said something like "watter’s no a right drink for sailors". I apologise to all Para Handy fans for my incipient senility.

Install Adblock Plus extension in your browser. I havent seen a youtube ad on my computer in years.

My Android, in the other hand, is hopeless.

Posted by .

Thanks for that advice Aaron. I have just acted on it and installed Adblock Plus.

>Descendants of Rechab
- whom I take it was the brother of Rehab…..

And there was Ahab who was the brother of Rehab and came to a bad end while out fishing one day…..

I’ll get my coat now?……

Ahab - Rechab - rehab - I think there’s great material here for a limerick, or maybe just a clerihew. Any offers>

I almost hate to admit it, but I subscribed to YouTube during the pandemic. There are so many amazing Irish recordings and videos that aren’t available anywhere and the past year so many musicians posted videos playing at home and the ads were driving me nuts, particularly when they would break in loudly in the middle of a performance.

Having no TV or movie streams, I used YouTube a lot for both music and comedy material. It’s a vast resource and I can easily download with the app Michael Eskin posted, 4KDownload.
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader?ref=guru99
Unless it’s changed since I started using it, the app is donation ware. You can use it for free, but I sent the developer a $10 tip.

My only other stream is Spotify which I’ve had for a long time.

One of the best sessions I ever heard was Martin Hayes, Kevin Crawford and John Doyle and a few other faculty playing in a private session away from the crowd at the last Swannanoa Gathering. I can’t say that all three enjoyed it, but there was a bottle of Irish whiskey passed around among them.

They seemed to be really enjoying playing together and sounded great.

Winston Smith, 4KDownload is specifically for YouTube. There are other browser extensions for Firefox or Chrome that may allow downloading videos from Facebook and other webpages.

For video formats other than YouTube I’ve used Movavi Screen Recorder, which will capture video or just the audio from every source I’ve tried it on. I’m using the $40 USD paid version, but I think there is a free version with more limited capability.

Update: i just discovered that Adbkock Plus has an Android browser. Much more peaceful with the ads and popups, including Youtube.

Posted by .

Different band.

Posted by .