Rainy days, Mondays, Covid days etc: What recording cheers you up the most?

Rainy days, Mondays, Covid days etc: What recording cheers you up the most?

For me, it’s the "Sproggles Set" on the Solas album "The Words That Remain" https://thesession.org/recordings/13

It just really boosts my spirits.

Re: Rainy days, Mondays, Covid days etc: What recording cheers you up the most?

Generally I turn to songs - the last couple years: Sarah Jarocz, Karine Polwart and certain songs from various artists. The more melancholy I feel, the more I gravitate to sad songs.

Great question! It’s a tough one to answer because I listen to lots of traditional music. At the moment, I’d say it’s a set from the High Level Ranters’ 1971 album High Level (which I got for Christmas) and which consists of The Hen’s March (Through the Midden), the Broken Legged Chicken and the Black Cock of Wickham.
Also a Jimmy Shand MSR set on one of the compilation collections, which consists of Call to Banff, Brechin Castle and the Apple Tree.

Oh, and also "The Laird o’ Brodie/Danzig Willie/The Merchant’s Jig" by the Battlefield Band on the Music in Trust album. It starts out more melancholy and then gets cheerier, but not overly so.

I like the Mary Wallopers version of Hamish Imlach’s Cod liver oil and the Orange Juice. Cheers me up no end!

A while back I saw a video of Pat Barton playing the accordion. I subscribed to his channel and now get a notification, (usually early in the morning Irish time) of his latest offering, and I just love it! Pat could come out with anything-jigs, reels, barn dances, it doesn’t matter. He has a lovely style and you are guaranteed a quality recording of a good tune. Just the job to set me up for the day😁 Thank You Pat
https://youtu.be/CswVEihiSFE

Posted by .

Try anything by ‘At the Racket’ - it’s hard not to smile at anything they do - very happy tunes🎶🪕😎

Posted by .

The jig “The end of the day” never fails when I busk at that time ( five to sevenish in the evening👌), you wouldn’t believe the mileage I’m actually getting from it, I’ve been playing it for about six months now and it really does bring the smiles out. I think myself it’s one of the tunes that are .. like “Si beat si mor” when played in the garden- a little bit magical 😀

I could go with that Jeff. I’ll tell you a wee story about that track. I first heard it while driving one evening and it was played on BBC Scotland’s "Travelling Folk" programme. Until Archie Fisher back-announced it as the opening track of "Morning Rory" by Michael McGoldrick, my first thought had been that Messrs. Molloy and Keenan had got together for a duo recording. That’s how good it is !

Posted by .

Any recording of Liam O’Flynn’s piping, especially his solo piping.

A couple of times in the past I have had an unexpected emotional responses to music the first time I’ve heard a piece. And it happened to me a couple of times in the same album, which is Far From The Hills Of Donegal by Oisín McAuley. Especially this piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5flYFffRULg

I was in a bit of a foul mood after a session one night that I just didn’t have any fun at (which is rare), and that track came on in the car on the way home. By the end of the track I was crying because of how much better it made me feel. That album still sits in my playlists, and every time one of the tracks comes up, it still gives me some of that feeling inside.

Thanks for sharing that story, Kenny. I got my copy of the album after a concert with Mike McGoldrick, Dezi Donnelly, Seamus "Skirm" Curley, and Andy Jones. They called themselves The Gallery. I think it was in Nov/Dec 1997. This track was on the set list, and it was probably the first time I saw/heard the uilleann pipes IRL.

Once a fortnight, some of my pals from Scots Music Group and I have a Zoom session on a Monday afternoon. Almost invariably, as today, it is NOT a rainy Monday, but a glorious afternoon, when we should perhaps be outside, walking, running, gardening or just enjoying the sunshine. Cheeriest tune this afternoon was, I think, the Thingummyjig Polka.

Is this "Auld Spice", Trish or something else?

I was there in the very early days. The band evolved, I think(?), from some of the older members of a daytime ALP class which Angus Grant Junior held downstairs in St Martin’s Church in Dalry Road around lunchtime/early afternoon. This was around 1991-1992-1993.
There was a mixture of age groups but quite a few retired and older people. Stan used to get a few requests for musicians to play at schools, old peoples’ homes and the like and we would go out there. I found playing for very small children the best fun especially at one school Christmas party where we all got a "bag of buns". Children are much more receptive and with less expectations whereas older people already have "set expectations" about what they want to hear and their own idea of what traditional music should be!

A few of the latter formed their own ceilidh band which later became Auld Spice. I’d imagine very few if any of the original members will be in the band now and its origins may well be forgotten by the present members. Who knows?

Hope you are keeping well.

Thanks Johnny Jay: yes, indeed, the tune is one in the "Auld Spice Ceilidh Band" repertoire: I believe it was the signature tune for a Scottish TV show called "Thingummyjig" back in the 70s and 80s: its 60th anniversary was commemorated during the Hogmanay show on STV in 2017.
There are still a couple of the original Auld Spice Band continuing to play: they are very proud of their origins and history (far from forgetting their inception - "who knows?!), and talk about the days they used to meet in the old ALP office on Dalry Road to play together, and the encouragement given to go out and form bands. They have lost a few people along the road and recruited others along the way: I have been with them for about 6-7 years now as keyboard player. There is a list of all players, past and present on the website under the history tab:
http://www.auldspiceband.co.uk/History

Thanks Trish,

The band seemed to have officially formed slightly later than I thought but a few of them had certainly attended these early daytime classes. I remember Dick Rutter very well, for instance.

When I moved away from Dalry Road to East Lothian in 1993, I wasn’t able to visit during the day and just continued with the evening version of ALP which had moved to Tynecastle school by this time.