Passing of Joe Burke

Passing of Joe Burke

I’ve just heard that the great accordionist Joe Burke has passed away. What a legacy of accordion playing he leaves. May he rest in peace….

Re: Passing of Joe Burke

Terrible to hear. A massive loss in the trad community for sure.

What a shock. So sad to hear. One of the greats of Irish music.

Sorry to hear this. Rest in peace Galway’s Own. You entertained us with your music and your stories. Always enjoyed Joe’s recordings because of the new tunes that he would dig up. Compositions of Paddy Kelly, Father PJ, Paddy Fahy, Reavy and others. Flawless playing. Condolences to Ann

May he rest in peace. Most sincere condolences to his family. His art made a big difference in my playing. His time in this world was not wasted. God bless.

So very sorry to hear of Joe’s passing. He used to come to the Village Coach House and play Galway tunes with Larry Reynolds and Seamus Connolly. That was always a great time. He played a concert or two for us as well, I think upstairs at the Coach House, maybe at the Can-Am club. He would always amaze, A really good man. My condolences to his family and friends.

Posted by .

A giant of Irish accordion music, sorry to never have met him. I remember once seeing a video of himself and Jackie Daly playing a duet, illustrating their differing approaches to box playing - I’d love to see it again if anyone can find it.

thanks Jeff, yes that’s the one.

Rest in Peace Maestro and Legend. Joe Burkes name has been known in every far corner of the world. What a feast of recordings, tunes and stories we have all enjoyed over the years.
There will be some tunes in the great session in the sky.

Oh dear, the passing of an era.

Back in 1974, I was in the Sliabh Luachra pub in Listowel, in the run up to the Fleadh. Nothing was happening, so I pulled out a whistle and chanced a tune. "Good man!", said a voice near me. He then went up to the bar to borrow a whistle and joined me. After a few more tunes, he went out and fetched his box. And we introduced ourselves. He was Joe Burke.

Sad news, indeed! RIP

Sad to hear this, a great musician.

Posted by .

Shocked and saddened. As a fiddle player, I consider box and fiddle to be my favorite combination of instruments, especially a rumbling box with octave voicing like Joe Burke’s (please pardon my lack of precision; I don’t know much at all about boxes). Just listening to him play with Andy McGann or Brian Conway, or listening to his mentor, Paddy O’Brien of Tipperary, play with Séamus Connolly, really hits the spot for me. I wish there were more of these duets around, and also more of Joe’s older recordings. What a player! RIP.

I wonder how the craic upstairs will be now?
First met and heard this genius in ‘76/’77? on the Comhaltas visit to Liverpool at the then Liverpool Irish Centre on Brownlow Hill.
His fingers then, and forever, always danced over the buttons.
And as already mentioned, a mean whistle and flute player.
Thanks for the music Joe, RIP
Best to Ann and family
Brian x

Brian x: "I wonder how the craic upstairs will be now?"

Not altogether bad for the flute players, box players, pipers, even the banjo players. The fiddlers of course have gone to the other place. "The Devil’s instrument", I seem to remember…..

“The Devil’s Instrument was the name given to the fiddle by religious leaders who thought there was no place in the church for such an instrument since it was used for weddings, dances and gatherings where alcohol and merriment ensued."

https://www.pioneer.org/blogs/events-screenings/new-pioneer-pbs-documentary-on-the-hardanger-fiddle-to-premiere-jan-16-at-the-norway-house/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20Devil’s%20Instrument%E2%80%9D%20was%20the,where%20alcohol%20and%20merriment%20ensued.

Ah well, it wasn’t as if they hadn’t been warned…..

Joe Burke was the Gold Standard of BC accordion playing. I learned to play bodhran at the Village Coach House sessions with Larry Renolds, Seamus Connoly and crew. I had the honor of seeing Joe Burke perform at a Comhaltas concert in the early 80s at Waltham High School auditorium. Even then, he was a living legend.

So sorry to hear this. As a B/C player, I need to listen to more of his playing.

Irish accordion : Joe Burke plays 2 hornpipes, accompanied by Anne Conroy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKw3br3s7tw

"Joe Burke plays 2 Irish hornpipes on button accordion, accompanied by Anne Conroy on guitar. I should know the first one’s name, but can’t remember - I’m sure somone can help. The 2nd has several names - I first heard it called "Dinny O’Brien’s", but it is also known as "The Broadway", "The Rover Through The Bog", and I seem to remember Joe himself introducing it as "The Shaskeen" hornpipe, although that name is much more commonly associated with the famous reel." - Douglas Hadden

A charmer and a continued inspiration…

Joe Burke’s Farewell Tunes - 2019 - with Frankie Gavin & Carl Hession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDD5-jvmF3g

"I knew Joe for over 50 years, and traveled all over the country with him after we won The All Ireland Trio ( with Kathleen Collins on Fiddle ). After I moved to Cork to study music we lost contact, although I would come home for some of his concerts. Joe was an unbelievable musician, a thorough gentleman, and a very, very witty person who was tremendous company. Rest in peace, Joe." - Carl Hession

My brother was pointing out to me yesterday that Joe was one of very few artists who had recorded on just about all the recording media that existed during his long musical career, from 78rpm records, 33rpm LPs, cassette tapes to CDs, and his music is happily still available by digital download.
His solo LP on the Belfast Outlet label is still a masterpiece :
https://youtu.be/FHrcRiFgRjM

Posted by .

Joe Burke, Sorry to Part

Joe Burke In Memoriam, Thank you for inspiring the World 1939 - 2021

Me and my wife are heartbroken, we also live in East Galway
so we played a tune from Joe

https://youtu.be/_csnA5Q85Hw

From his album: Happy to meet, Sorry to Part: (Boyne Hunt)
His music will forever be with all of us
Joe Burke 1939 - 2021
Rest in peace.