Which key of whistle?

Which key of whistle?

I’ve been listening a lot to Ravishing Genius of Bones by Brian Finnegan. One song in particular that I like is "Only". When I use a key finder on this it says it’s in c#major. Not being particularly steeped in music theory (at all!) I wondered what key of whistle is best to play in c#major? I can play the tune but would like to try and play along with the recording. While I’m here, is there a good page that tells you what each key of whistle can play what supplementary keys?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Leitch

Re: Which key of whistle?

Sounds like a tune or maybe an air, not a song.
I’m not sure what key his tin whistle on this tune is, but my guess is Db.

Wouldn’t it be better to get a program that can put the tune into a key that works for the whistle that you have?The Amazing Downloader or Audacity or some such. Otherwise you’ll need a half-dozen whistles. Which, in fact, most players do eventually come to own.

Most whistles play well in their native key or a perfect fourth above it (that being four steps INCLUDING the tonic note, so "D e f# G" means you can play a D whistle in D or G). So to get C#, a G# whistle would work.
I don’t have a chart handy, but you can see the different keys laid out here (also, you’ll note the low is listed as C# and the high as Db, but they’ll play the same scale an octave apart) https://www.susato.com/collections/kildare

If this is the tune the OP is talking about from that CD, the full name is "If Only a Little" and there are transcriptions here in the tune database: https://thesession.org/tunes/9911

In the comments, it’s mentioned that he plays it in Ab, on an Ab Olwell bamboo flute.

An Ab works quite well for G# ! 😉

About the Ab/G# thing, in ordinary music they would say "Ab".

For C# they would say "Db".

For whistles, it brings consistency, because we don’t say "A# whistle" and "D# whistle".

So from the Low C whistle up to the high Eb whistle we would have

C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb

which makes more sense that jumping back and forth between flats and sharps.

It’s interesting that the music is primarily in sharp key signatures, but the whistles are referred to in flat keys. Probably a carryover from the general pattern of end-blown woodwind variants like clarinets and sax being primarily in flat keys. Who knows?