Will I play the whistle better in a pair of these?

Re: Will I play the whistle better in a pair of these?

Surely they will make you a better player when worn as part of a disciplined learning program, effective practice routine, and lessons from a qualified teacher!

When I saw the subject line, I assumed it was a serious question related to appropriate trousers for playing traditional Irish music, or the changing thereof. Our very own Yhall House is of course the undisputed authority on trousers and their appropriateness to particular styles of playing. This question though is just silly… 🙂

Posted by .

I’ve seen someone pull a whistle out of his shoe and commence to playing it. I can’t recall if it was inside or outside of the sock, but in either case, he placed it right in his mouth. It was gross and I can’t un-remember it. And now, with that image, I imagine neither can you.

I suppose the grossness of it depends a fair bit on which end of the whistle was tucked into the shoe…

Posted by .

Surely this violates some law.
I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to make me NEED a new pair of shoes.

"I’ve seen someone pull a whistle out of his shoe and commence to playing it. I can’t recall if it was inside or outside of the sock, but in either case, he placed it right in his mouth."

Well, at least it was his own shoe. I have seen someone warm up a whistle down the front of their trousers – but I think the mouthpiece stayed above the waistband.

@Creadur MawnOrganig: Tut tut, Marquis de Queensbury, y´know. Nothing below the belt!

Posted by .

Slightly off-topic, but still in the gross-ness field …

I heard a story (may be true, not sure) of a well-known Irish singer-songwriter, who gave one of the soundmen a real sherriking in front of all the others, because the pre-gig sound wasn’t right. As the star stormed off, the poor soundman, livid with rage, wrenched the mic off the stand. He stuck it down the back of his trousers and gave it a really good rub, then placed it back on the stand, all ready for the performance …

But would you play a whistle if it was pulled out of this shoe specifically?

Mark, you obviously have a thing about the shoes. Just buy ‘em!

Posted by .

Is it possible to stand or sit still in these shoes? Playing the whistle whilst running seems ill-advised, for more than one reason.

😀

The main thing I have learned from this thread is that US shoe sizing is very strange indeed. Always appreciate new knowledge but I think I will stick to my trusty dr martens for foot / whistle storage for now.

One could of course pop a whistle up the sleeve of one’s jumper for those "hey presto" moments.

Posted by .

Two session mates of mine produce a very polished performance both wearing, and masquerading as, Brown Boots:

http://www.brown-boots.co.uk/

Kick some dosh their way and buy the album. Right now they could do with it, I’m sure.

Brooks puts out various "theme" shoes for runners to wear to different events. There are lots of St. Pat’s races around, these are meant for that - they also have Christmas themed ones for "hot cocoa" runs, etc. I have the St. Pat’s version from 3 years ago - they are bright and fun and ridiculous … and I love them. 🙂

Posted by .

Guaranteed that people will notice your playing.

SJ said:

"The main thing I have learned from this thread is that US shoe sizing is very strange indeed…"

How so?

It’s true that UK and US makers are both inconsistent in their sizing. If you look at several different international conversion charts you’ll see that they vary from chart to chart.

Two pair of trainers I have to hand say

#1: 14US 13.5UK 49EU

#2: 14US 13UK 48.5EU

and they demonstrate what I’ve often found, that the EU size is a better guide to the shoe’s true size than either a UK or US label. (I have several shoes from the UK and their sizing is at least as inconsistent as my US shoes are.)

By that I mean that US women’s and men’s shoe sizes are different. Terribly confusing.

Posted by .

Yes.

Actually, no, you won’t play better whistle in a pair of those shoes.
If it makes you feel better then buy them. Either way it’s mostly about the shoes & very little about playing.

Posted by .