Last session @ Woodstock’s Pizza…

Last session @ Woodstock’s Pizza…

Exactly 1 year ago we played our last session on the 4th Thursday of the month in February of 2020. Well, not exactly, but this one may be like horseshoes, TV or hand grenades; close is good enough. Here is a set of tunes to commemorate the occasion. Coincidentally I am in the same spot now where I was playing back then.
https://youtu.be/8jbVnBuZa2I

Anyone else remember your sessions around the same time?

Posted by .

Re: Last session @ Woodstock’s Pizza…

Not the last session so much as the last Irish trad festival (probably) in the USA in Durango, Colorado last March. Good music, good friends, sessions, workshops and poof - everything after that was cancelled. We were looking forward to seeing Dervish the following week in Evanston, Wyoming. The Ceiligh at the Roundhouse organizers were still selling t-shirts to offset the loss from the cancellation so I now have a lovely t-shirt for an event that never occurred.

I had John Whelan here for a series of 3 house concerts March 6-8 last year. The words "social distancing" had just come into our vernacular that week, but nobody was doing it — just talking about it. For the house concerts, we changed the way we did food, so it wasn’t buffet style, and we had told people to respect people’s wishes to not hug or shake hands (not that it stopped anybody). It’s really crazy to think how quickly the world changed in the following two weeks! John set off on a planned trip with gigs every night, working his way toward NY, where he would be for St. Patrick’s Day. He made it a few days further on his trip, but then gigs started getting canceled, and he had to turn around and head back home. And I had canceled both of the sessions that I anchor within that next week. At the same time, my wife flew to Arizona for a family emergency, and we ended up flying her back early, because things were changing so quickly that we were afraid she would be stranded there. A lot of things can change in a year… At least the coronavirus isn’t as much of an unknown as it was back then, and it seems that most people have settled into routines regarding it… Not that it lessens the impact of all the human suffering and loss that we’ve endured as a planet since then…

Thanks for the replies callison & Reverend. Sorry for getting back days later. Appreciate any & all replies.
I was hoping for more tunes, not that I’m complaining, so I’ll post another set while I’m here. Cheers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKjZF5gidN0

Posted by .

We had our usual music and dance session on March 9 of last year. There hadn’t been any confirmed cases of covid up here (Alaska) yet, but I’d started wondering whether it was a good idea to keep having the sessions. I also figured nobody would turn out, in light of the growing concern, so what harm in "keeping the lights on" by being there to chat with anyone who did filter through.

We ended up having a good-sized group of dancers after all and a good thing too, because we all know how the story goes from March onward.

A little side note, that music/dance session was located in the atrium of our local public library, and I hope they’ll want us back once the pandemic has been brought under control. There are few things I’ve enjoyed more than the initial perplexity, followed by near-universal happiness, that strangers show when they find a live music/dance happening in an unexpected place… or the happy little whirlwinds of small children that sometimes form on the sidelines of the more organized dancing.

I trust those times are closer to coming back today than they were yesterday, even if we don’t know the timeline — and on most days I find myself looking forward to them with a lot of hope.

We tend to do a lot of ceili dancing up here, so in place of only tunes, here’s one of the local favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isiw6wjySMA

Cheers, Lisa M. Love the clip & appreciate your sharing it here.

Posted by .