Down the pub for tunes!

Down the pub for tunes!

There is the faintest hint of optimism in the UK that pubs and therefore sessions will/ might/ could be back in June. How is it hanging in other territories?

Re: Down the pub for tunes!

Here in New Zealand, most of us ( apart from Auckland which is in a higher state of lockdown ) can meet for sessions, and we do.

The Catford Bridge Tavern (*not* a trad music venue) announced it is opening its outdoor areas on April 12th. Just the outdoor bits, which are quite small. Just along the road from The Blythe Hill Tavern, near the stations. I haven’t heard anything about The Blythe, so I wonder if this will be a factor in Con’s (the guvnor) decisions. For the Blythe, if it’s just outdoor areas, I’m not sure if Con will host a session. One step at a time I suppose.
Anything happening in South Wimbledon?
Whatever happens, it’s going to be a strange March 17th around here…..

The pubs may well be open, but whether sessions - especially ones indoors with a lot of flute players - will be allowed is another matter entirely. We can but hope.

Posted by .

It’ll be some time before pubs are back to normal and some social distancing is inevitable.
Regular customers will get priority before sessions, I’m sure.

I know Boris is promising that all restrictions could be removed by 21st June but I’ll believe that when I see it. "Here in Scotland", we’ll no doubt be "the coo’s tail" again but that’s maybe not a bad thing in these circumstances.

Good point regarding flutes outdoors, Kenny. If you’re outdoors and there’s any cross-wind, you lose your embouchure. Also for almost any instrument, any cold weather outdoors stiffens up or numbs the fingers. Still, better than no sessions at all….

I wasn’t thinking about outdoors. Will we be allowed to play indoors ?

Posted by .

Sorry I misread your post. Yeah you’re right, but outdoors as well.

Winston Smith: Not a dicky bird about anything yet! Pubs still in deep hibernation.

One of my local pubs changed hands just before the first lockdown and the new licensees (in fact, the returning previous-but-one licensees) have actually *asked* for a session. No idea when that might be possible – there is a small beer garden, so perhaps, if we get a good spring/summer, we might manage a few quiet tunes before too long.

Here in Washington state USA, indoor dining and bars are still limited to 25% capacity, with some other non-session-friendly rules like "maximum 6 per table, limit 2 households per table."

Right now only those 65 or older currently qualify for vaccines, and the roll-out has been slow. I don’t expect things to loosen up to the point where there might be a hope of an indoor restaurant/pub session out here until many more people are vaccinated, maybe by mid-Summer or Fall. In the early days of re-opening to full capacity, the restaurant and bar owners will want to build their businesses back with full paying customers, and rotating tables as fast as they can.

So I think the only local sessions for a while yet will be invitation kitchen sessions with trusted "pods" of friends who have been vaccinated. That, and outdoor gatherings when the weather improves. That’s just this one state in the USA though. Other places like Texas are re-opening completely with no restrictions (insane, if you ask me), so maybe sessions will resume there earlier.

Plans already afoot to play at residential yards, which I prefer anyway. Our weather in Boise, Idaho very conducive. 60 degrees, clear and no wind today. Daylight Saving starts in a week. We usually play 7-9 PM, so it will still be light out. I won’t let my guard down no matter what is allowed. I get my vax in a week, but will wear a mask at least until fall unless I can maintain 6 feet distance and am outdoors.

Posted by .