Name of Finbarr Dwyer tune on Bridge Ceili Band album

Name of Finbarr Dwyer tune on Bridge Ceili Band album

Hi there,
I’m just wondering does anyone have the CD Sparks on Flags by the Bridge Ceili Band?
I have it and track one is a lovely set. It’s Lord McDonald, The Holly Bush & Finbarr Dwyer’s. I’m just wondering what the correct name of the Finbarr Dwyer tune is. I’ve checked it against whatever Finbarr Dwyer tunes I can find e.g Bere Island and the Berehaven but it’s not them. I know Finbarr Dwyer wrote a tune called Sheik Billy from a discussion I read on this site so it could be that one but I’m not sure as I can’t find the sheet music or a recording of Sheik Billy anywhere. Well I know it’s on The Best of Finbarr Dwyer album but I don’t have a copy of that.
Let me know if you know the name of this tune please! Am no good at learning by ear so I need to try & track down sheet music for it : )

Re: Name of Finbarr Dwyer tune on Bridge Ceili Band album

Hi “concertinagal” - welcome to “thesession.org”. I’ve just listened to the track, and can tell you categorically that it’s not “Sheik Billy”, which is a tune I have meant to post here for a while. I’m afraid I can’t help any more than that. That particular “Finbarr Dwyer’s” is not a tune I’ve encountered anywhere else. I hope someone else can help you in your search. If no one else does it, I’ll have a go at transcribing it for you, but as many people here will tell you in all sincerity, if you have the Bridge CB recording, “read with your ears” 🙂

Posted by .

for those that don’t have the album, here is 10 seconds of the tune https://www.irishtune.info/tune/5308/

I don’t recognise the tune, it’s has the comment “Finbarr Dwyer’s / Port Finbarr Dwyer (also in G)”, search for jigs in Gmaj that maybe has been converted into a reel.

I would need more than 10 seconds to work it out, but maybe this jig in GMaj https://thesession.org/tunes/362 could have been converted into a reel, nothing to do with Finbarr though.

I hear nothing that is similar to the above clip (the first or the second). To my ears, the melody moves in the same direction as, say, Ryan’s hornpipe:
https://thesession.org/tunes/7100

Of course it isn’t that tune either.

The Richie Dwyer album is listed here, but the track in the video clip has the first tune as Richie Dwyer’s Jig…
https://thesession.org/recordings/1909

I know that first tune on the video above as ‘Fox On The Town’, I always thought it was one of Finbarr’s. Don’t know about the second tune or the original tune in question on the Bridge Ceili Band LP, sorry.

Thank you all for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.
I have Richie Dwyer’s book of compositions & I listened to the tune from the Bridge CB CD against the sheet music of Tribute to Jackie Lynch and I didn’t think they were the same tune.
I will give it a bit more time Kenny and try and get it out by ear again. I’ve asked a few more people about the tune so I’ll post up the name of the tune if I get it

I believe this tune was written by the great Longford fiddle player Seamus Thompson and is called Seamus Thompson’s Number 2. Seamus composed the tune in F but it also sounds lovely in G. The tune features on an album that Seamus recorded with the harpist Kim Fleming called Longford’s Own - Kenny posted this album in the recordings a number of years ago. It’s a great tune!

I’ll check that - certainly didn’t register on hearing the BCC versions.

Posted by .

[ “BCC” above should have been “BCB”= “Bridge Ceili Band”. ]
@concertinagal - “eannamac” has your answer - almost 🙂. The reel is “Seamus Thompson’s #1”, not the second one in the set, as he/she thought, but well done for pointing us in the right direction - I would never have got it on my own.
This also means that it has nothing to do with Finbarr Dwyer - but I will have a go at transcribing “Sheik Billy” in the next few days.

Posted by .

Thanks for checking Kenny, you are right I got mixed up on the order of his two reels on that track. Glad that you could confirm that Seamus wrote the reel!

Eannamac and Kenny, thanks very much for that.
Seamus Thompson no. 1, great to have its name.
I’ll have a go at Sheik Billy if you manage to post it up Kenny!

Just an update;
I had emailed the BCC off their website about a week ago looking for the name of the tune they called Finbarr Dwyer’s as I thought they might have come across it since. They didn’t have the name but they did send on the sheet music so that’s my homework
for the next while;
Lord McDonalds, the Holly Bush & Seamus Thompson’s no.1!
I sure was lucky : )

Nice that they got back to you, Concertinagal. Would you like to post the tune in the “Tunes” section , please ?

Posted by .

St Finbarr’s Cathedral in Cork City is Church of Ireland, not Roman Catholic. But Prot. liturgy is quite a lot like RC liturgy. (Last visited Cork City 1997 - got confused by the twin rivers as poor sense of direction. Would love to go back to Co. Cork (home of late grandad) but of course can’t just now…)

Hi Kenny,
It definitely was. I’ll post up the notes alright, it might take me 2-3 weeks but I will put them up : )
I hope it won’t be long before you can visit Co. Cork again Susan all going well

Seamus Thompson’s #1 uploaded now in keys F and G !