What is everyone doing at the moment in terms of community sessions online and stuff?

What is everyone doing at the moment in terms of community sessions online and stuff?

I just thought I would take an ask because my motivation has lagged out again lately and thinking I should do something different. If not playing along live it would be good to just lurk on something to get a little feel and inspiration to practice some tunes people are playing or something.

The few times I went to sessions it gave me a goal for tunes to practice which structured my home sessions, granted I didn’t go to many sessions and still practiced however I didn’t have as much motivation issue as now.

I am just wondering what community stuff is going if, even if several steps removed from life I am thinking perhaps it can act as a better surrogate than nothing at all!

Even if I don’t join them just nice to hear what is going on, if anything.

I watched one of mike’s videos the other day where his other half watched in unbeknownst to him and was nice to see his setup.

Re: What is everyone doing at the moment in terms of community sessions online and stuff?

Check out “jamming with JJ “ on Facebook Really good fiddle tunes. Go on to face book and search. There is a session every Sunday From Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
E Gruninger

Re: What is everyone doing at the moment in terms of community sessions online and stuff?

For the last eleven months I’ve been one of the "leaders" at a weekly Zoom meet of a local community fiddle group - up to thirty participants (and, no, I don’t play fiddle). We’ve had various guest tutors: Rua MacMillan, Patsy Reid, Anna Wendy Stevenson, etc.

I also take part in an Irish session (that moved online last May) twice a month where those that wish to get a chance to lead a set or two - up to a dozen participants. I never took part in the original session as it was too far a car journey for me.

Finally, I meet up online every couple of weeks with a couple of friends for an exchange of banter and tunes - mainly Scottish (especially pipe tunes) and our own compositions. This is my main source of new material to learn and practise and my main motivation for putting sets of tunes together.

These are all, to a certain extent, are acting as surrogates for musical get-togethers that were in existence before the pandemic hit. Are there no similar online replacements for gatherings you attended in the past?

Since last May, I’ve been hosting an open Zoom session every Tuesday night from 6-8 PM Pacific time, more info at:

http://michaeleskin.com/session

It’s a really nice group of players, and we have come up with some ways to make Zoom sessions more interesting including "karaoke" style with mixed-in recorded music and "chained" sets where multiple players play one after another in a set of tunes. We typically have between 20 and 30 players each week, and everyone can participate however they want, either actively start tune sets and participate in the chains, or just stay muted and play along all night.

I’m also participating pretty much every week in other Zoom sessions with groups hosted by players in Austin, Dallas, and other places.

Also, in the real world, we’ve started having outdoor socially-distanced sessions on a big gazebo-style bandstand once a week, and that’s been absolutely wonderful. As more and more people are getting immunized, I can imagine we may be able to restart our pub session in a few months.

@Donald I moved house mid lockdown so no, don’t know anyone here yet.

That puts you at a slight disadvantage in that any online session you join you’ll be starting from scratch in that you’ll not know much of the repertoire. But it’ll certainly give you plenty of new stuff to learn.

There are plenty of online sessions advertised here - some free.

My week is really full with sessions on Zoom, and a few on Skype. I host several myself, with local music friends and one of our ceilidh bands, while someone else hosts a fortnightly Zoom session for the other band. Also plenty on Facebook to listen to. And have attended several excellent workshops, some of which were associated with festivals running events online. I am probably doing more playing and singing than I was before lockdown!
And @ Country Roads, one of the advantages of such sessions is that they don’t have to be close to where you live: thanks to the internet you can travel the globe so long as time differences stack up! (Where are you based?) It’s just a matter of finding out when and where any sessions are. As for not knowing the repertoire, we screen-share a lot of the music, so if you are a reader, it’s there for you.

Susan (Glasgow) : I’m not doing anything online as am too old to cope . Have been busking on my fiddle. Yesterday I made about £10, £5 in Victoria Rod. Then spent £3 (extortionate() on a coffee. Went to Dixon Avenue, off Vic. Rd, and played just for fun. Lots of E. Europeans on the side streets, and 5 folk dropped £1 pieces in my fiddle case! Amazing. Got cat snacks, paid off part of a debt and walked home through Queen’s Park. (Mary Q of Scots). Lovely spring day but as this is GLASGOW< it began to rain at c 5 pm. But I’d made tuna rice so just ate that and left out fishy snacks for Murphy the scrounger cat (ginger).

Sorry not to make a very helpful comment. PS Wore face-mask most of the time. Played lots of Irish tunes as my Granddad was from W. Cork (nearest town Skibbereen). Played "Old Skibbereen" - fab song.

Trying to learn fiddle and failing harder than you can imagine.

Still playing tunes. Listening more than ever. Always striving to keep focused. Finding new ways to build my community back. Remembering to always keep healthy. Basically taking the good & the bad as it comes.
It’s work, which I’ve always known it will be in this life.
Keep playing, mates!

Posted by .

Learning every single barndance and highland that Ciaran Kelly posts on his facebook page.

Even though we’re set to get somewhere around 2 feet of snow this weekend, last weekend was 70 degrees (f), and we had an outdoor socially distanced session for the first time since last September. It was a nice reminder of how nice it is to play music in person, after a year of playing online.

I still host two sessions a week on JamKazam, and they keep me sane. But the first thing I noticed was how much lift we played with right out of the box in person. We have gotten pretty good at playing with the low latency platforms, and we have had maybe 2-3 sessions in the last year that were about as much fun as I’ve ever had in a session. (Which is about on par with how many sessions I have that much fun in normally…) But it was fun to rediscover that lift can be achieved much more easily in person.

I know how u feel, Arthur Figgis. As a beginner the violin makes horrible, horrible sounds - unless you have the golden touch. One way of making music sort of communally is to play along with cds and recorded music. Very good for harmonising and getting a good rhythm and you get to play with some truly amazing musicians! Lovely.

My most memorable experience so far as been leading a workshop on two-hand dances, via Zoom, for a local folk festival. Since I’m in a one-person "bubble," I used a Swiffer as a partner - after dressing it up with giant googly eyes, a little fedora, and a tie. The experience was very strange but also very entertaining, especially because other people got creative with their dance partners: They let me see them dancing with furniture, brooms, sweaters, stuffed animals, one very grumpy-looking cat… you get the idea.

I’m also helping John Whelan run his "Whelan Master Sessions" series on Saturdays, which has been a great source of connection, entertainment, and tunes.

But the gold ring, for me, will be when it’s finally warm enough to sit outside and play with others in person again. And when we can go back to our regular community dances, too… even better!!

Been rehearsing with the band. Using Jamulus, and playing alongside each other in real time but in different locations. It’s fantastic fun and it’s given our rehearsals much more focus - as we don’t have to travel anywhere to rehearse, even a 20 minute rehearsal is easy, and we mix and share the recordings afterwards. Four sessions this week alone! And have worked up quite a few new items without physically meeting.

Everything has moved online here in Nova Scotia. Here’s the link to our virtual St. Patrick’s Day concert: https://youtu.be/PNS6_NV4uAc happening at 6pm GMT today