$1,400 drops into your bank account - what do you do?

$1,400 drops into your bank account - what do you do?

Sorry to be a bit US-centric, but our government is providing some COVID financial relief to help the economy recover.

A hearty thank you is certainly due to artists and hospitality workers who have suffered as a direct consequence of social distancing, not to forget front-line medical professionals.

Do you:

Pay off some credit cards?
Invest for a rainy day?
Buy an entry to a Fall music festival?
Upgrade your instrument?
Buy some private lessons?

Re: $1,400 drops into your bank account - what do you do?

Private lessons!
I’m spending about $90/week (on two different lessons), so $1400 will pay for about 4 months.
It spreads the money to deserving musicians.
(My two lessons are with 1. David Munnelly — C#/D two row & D one row melodeon
and David Gilden - West African Kora.)

None of the above!

Deposit all US stimulus payments into saving account, because later may be asked to repay.

However encouraged by meager progress -getting a tune out of my lucky ‘Concertina’ find-, planning a fancy upgrade one of these days.

Unfortunately or fortunately (according to how you look at it) it will go towards the $2,200 heating coil repair I had to have done at my house 2 weeks ago.

I would have liked to have put most into savings and spent a little on some more whistles but that won’t happen.

It’s an interesting question if one assumes it’s a windfall and every other basic need is covered. I’ll get the payment but I’m not in that category — it goes to living expenses, including deferred ones due to the pandemic. But I’ll play the game.

If I could spend it on just anything music-related, I’d put it in a savings account for a trip to some flute-centric workshop/festival, maybe Boxwood Canada or even New Zealand if they ever let us outsiders in again.

I’d be tempted to put it towards a deposit on a new keyed Bb flute, but I think social contact is what I need more than another flute right now. I have my fiddler S.O. to play music at home with, which is a blessing and keeps us both interested in the music. But we both miss social contact with other musicians. When we’re both fully Covid-vaccinated (soon, we already have our first shot), I want to expand beyond just our local session scene when we’re able to attend more wide-flung festivals.

Pay for heart surgery. U wldnt have to in NHS, the state pays everything even for furriners! I spent 6 mths in hospital in 2020 (nervous breakdown due to isolation). I look forward to going back to a quiter place ORKNEY in September. This is my 17th year in Glasgow - and have had enough of psych drugs and shrinks. Mostly that horror drug Quetiapine, instead of making me quiet I went "psychotic". Don’t ever try it in big quantities…

As a result of hosp. stay, I’ve £4,500 in bank. Maybe a super-duper fiddle and another Schmidt bow.

In this situation, as in a recession, the best thing you can do, if you are not personally hard up, is to get the money in circulation. That way, everyone benefits. Bring pleasure to yourself and employment to others.

Posted by .

Interestingly enough I, like Conical bore, would likely pick up a B flat flute, one key (the B). I can’t afford the other keys but that one would be a big help in reaching the 3rd octave and cross fingering is darn useful for everything else. The B flat would go a long way towards letting me play in common jazz keys, something I can’t do well now. Hey, E flat is a bear on my D! Thanks to many poor financial decisions I’ll probably never own one but I can dream.

My second choice would to pay for studio time with my wife, an excellent pianist. Some waltz, some classical, some Christmas, would make her very happy. Heck, that might be my first choice and do it even without the $1400.

I won’t be getting one, even though my lucrative position of nearly 10 years was made redundant as of Jan 1 due to no fault of my own. I’ll certainly qualify for stimulus based on this year’s earnings if there are any in 2022. Feast or famine, I guess.

I’m in the middle of a career transition that’s going very well, and coming to a close on a car loan. If I play my cards right, I’ll be upgrading my hybrid concertina before the end of the year :D

Re:- "Deposit all US stimulus payments into saving account"….. If people do that then the stimulus won’t work. The last thing you should do if you want to fire-up the economy again is to save the money. It is essential, indeed your duty to your country, to spend it in a way that it feeds back through the economy. Therefore, happily indulge yourself.

Posted by .

I guess you could widen the geographic scope by including those (e.g. on an adequate pension) who haven’t suffered a hit to their disposable income but have not been able to dispose of it in the normal way.

As mentioned by Ailin and Gobby I’ll be keen to move some of it on to those who have been harder hit by going to more concerts than I would normally. Have just forked out quite a bit (though probably returnable) for a festival that may or may not happen.

Of the list in the OP I’m thinking of another instrument and some private lessons.

It’s a good question. Some of us self-employed in the UK, though not all, are receiving occasional cheques to compensate for loss of earnings. The first couple went on survival, but since I’ve moved back to the family home in Berwickshire I’ve been able to consider what to do with them more carefully. Some of it has gone on reedmaking and other gadgetry, and also some tutoring for myself for the first time in donkeys years.

Posted by .

I just bought a set of Highland pipes for $1,000 so pay that off first!

Then order a whistle from Colin Goldie.

What do I want to do? My options are limited until I get vaccinated for COVID.

What will I most likely do? Pay taxes I owe from last year.

Adulthood can really suck sometimes.

I have paid taxes in the US for 15 years. But because I’m not a citizen, I don’t even get a relief check….
I’ve had zero help from the US government during this pandemic, none. My business has been screwed since the start of the lockdown, I have no other income. It’s been hard AF…..

Mind you, living in NYC, $1400 wouldn’t even cover a month’s rent 🙂

You could buy my Olwell Nicholson keyless flute. No slide, all wood.
Plays great, with a strong bottom D. Made from aged Turkish boxwood.
Comes with a flute-stimulus refund of $100!
And includes mailing in the USA.

Thanks for the inspiring comments. Hope is on the horizon as vaccinations increase. Outdoor sessions may be starting up soon.

Being a smart (or lucky) gig worker I have several income legs, one of which shut down completely due to social isolation constraints. Until that comes my windfall pays down credit cards or living expenses.

Still, it is nice to dream.

"Adulthood can really suck sometimes" In Australia we call that ‘adultery’!

Posted by .

In reality, I’ll probably spend mine on some repairs around the house. But if I spent it musically, there is a Castagnari Lilly C#/D accordion for sale at the Buttonbox right now for just under that 1400 dollar amount… tempting!

Oh Patrick! get your priorities right mate. Just imagine… if you bought the box you could be very happy, singing some golden oldies such as "This Old House" and "My Roof’s Got a Hole in it and I Might Drown".

Posted by .

The check doesn’t even cover my rent. So I’d be putting it towards that. Between my wife and I I’ll probably throw some towards lessons on the new B/C box. Hopefully some people want to use theirs for lessons, that’s always a good way to do it.

I heard Rob Forbes has improved the embouchure on his Delrin flutes.
If so I may purchase a newer headpiece for my Forbes flute.

I’m also considering purchasing a G practice flute from Hammy Hamilton if he still has them.

The rest I will budget so as not to spend it too soon. But I am paying off debt (some with interest) so it’s a no-brainer to bring the debt down. The bulk of any money I am given will apply to this last bit.

I probably will save 10% just because Gobby insisted saving it goes against the purpose of the funds. 🙂
Gobby, it’s case by case, my friend.

{footnote} I finally got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine today. Sessions coming up next.

Posted by .

New fiddle.

A blarge, perhaps a Nordic bouzouki. Something weird. Maybe.

Whhhiiiiiirrrrrrr……

That whirring sound you can hear off stage right is the sound of dozens of us flute makers churning out flute specials coincidentally priced at exactly $1,400 including postage. To anywhere!

This week’s special - free vaccine jab with every flute. You just have to administer it yourself…..

(It’s amazing all the uses you can think up for a tincture of African Blackwood dust…..)

Look after yourselves, everybody. Hopefully things are looking up…..

I’d fill up my Maserati Ghibli Trofeo with leaded petrol. Anything left over would go towards replacing my Brunello Cucinelli suit.
Joking of course. I’ve only got a Spider.
I’d make sure I had the best instruments I could afford. What’s $1400? About £1100-1200? A nice McGee flute perhaps?……

I am tempted to jokingly answer by saying that the first thing I will do if the government is nice enough to give $1,400 dollars of my money back to me is to go to a certain nearby liquor store and spend it all on a lifetime supply of my favorite beer.
So far as I am concerned, it is my money because I have been working and paying taxes on it since I was a teenager. It is so nice of the government to give some of it back to me (he said sarcastically).
Seriously, though, if the government does send me this money, I am most likely to spend it on getting the electrical system in my house improved and updated to comply with the local laws.
Since I work in a hospital, my employer paid for both of the doses of the Moderna vaccine which I was given. I got the first dose last month and the second dose one month later. My body did not like either dose of the vaccine. After I got the second shot, I felt as if I had a really bad hangover for two days straight. When I mention hangovers, I am speaking from experience.

Laurence

And there’s a lot of people even worse off than us. The food banks can use a bit of funding too.

I’m one of the "unpatriotic" folks who’ll be putting it in savings, because COVID ate both my work and my modest savings — it’ll be a relief to see that number start going back up again. And that in turn will make it easier to keep using little bits of disposable income to buy music, lessons, etc.

Although with all other bills being paid, it’s possible that a little will be scraped off the top for accordion repair, rehairing a violin bow, maybe a new bridge, etc. General upkeep that isn’t urgent yet, but needs doing.

And a big YES to Steve B’s comment about food banks and other helping organizations needing funding. There’ve been loads of local news articles about the volume of help they’re being asked for, and it’s just staggering. I do what little I can, when I can… I wish it were more, but at least it’s something.

Fauxcelt … Here’s a thought. For about $20 a month I can stay pretty well hungover by making my own ciders. If ya choose to enjoy in moderation ya spend a lot less. It’s cheap, good, about twice as powerful as a craft beer, and it’s dorm room technology (note: I use recycled, donated bottles). I learned about 55 years ago in, you guesses it, a dorm. In 2 weeks you get something drinkable that goes quickly in the halls of learning. In 6 weeks you get something darn good. That’ll leave plenty of disposable income for rewiring. That $1400 may go pretty far!

I think I will spend the money on the electrical re-wiring instead of the beer. Besides, the city where I live does not allow home brewing of any alcoholic beverages. Also, the electrician is a member of the church I was attending regularly before the pandemic started which means any money I pay him will probably go to support the church. Some of the other people have suggested contributing the money to food banks and this church has a food bank and gives away food one day a week.

Laurence

I don’t expect any $1400 cash drops here in Canada however with all the saving I made on not being able to go to Bluegrass festivals, fiddle camps, fiddle workshops and my regular summer vacation due to Covids, I will probably treat myself to a very expensive carbon fibre violin.

I am surprised no one mentioned going long Game Stop shares. That’s what many did with the last stimulus check. Gambling is a big problem here in the US.

Well as one of the US-Centric recipients, I’ll have to say, I honestly don’t know. Since I’m retired from active performance, spending it on instruments or instrument upgrades seems like a waste to me. I’m happy with what I have, and wouldn’t have an issue with performing with any of them again.
While I’ve always dreamed of picking up a set of Uillean Pipes, $1400 isn’t nearly enough, and at my age, it’s a wish that will remain just a wish.
Since I’m still dabbling in building, I may use some of the stim to upgrade a few tools or buy some wood to begin seasoning for the next one.
I agree that the economy is best served by using it to stimulate.

She Who Must Be Obeyed has stated the money has to be spent on house repairs. Sigh…

When your married callison, that’s called a ‘compromise’.

Posted by .