New site feature: get email updates for comments

New site feature: get email updates for comments

I’ve just rolled out a new feature that people have been asking about for a while. You can now choose to get an email whenever someone adds a comment on a particular discussion, tune, session, event, etc.

This on a case-by-case basis. On any particular entry you’ll see this option right after any existing comments (right before the form to add your own comment). You can unsubscribe at any time from the same place.

I think this will be particularly useful for getting notified when people have questions about a particular session or event.

For this to work though, you need to make sure that the email address in your member profile is up to date. So it’s worth taking a moment to click on the "Your profile" link at the top of any page and then clicking on the "edit your details" button to check that you’ve got the right email address listed.

I’m going to test this feature now by choosing to get email updates for this very discussion. So if you have any feedback about this feature, I should get your comment delivered straight to my inbox.

Posted by .

Re: New site feature: get email updates for comments

Thanks, Jeremy,
That will be a very useful feature.
I hope that it is working and that this reaches you as an email.
Thanks
Philip

This could be very handy; but I’m mainly posting this to provide a test result.

Messages received!

Posted by .

While we’re on the subject of features, may I make a feature request?

The abcjs library includes functions to transpose tunes up and down - I wonder if this would be easy enough to add to the site.

Something along these lines:

https://imgur.com/a/6lW20HL

plus/minus to transpose, and o to reset.

Posted by .

Fabulous! Thanks, Jeremy!

Is it possible to stop receiving the notifications Jeremy if you change your mind?

Thanks Jeremy! Definitely a useful feature.

fionán asked:
"Is it possible to stop receiving the notifications Jeremy if you change your mind?"

Yes, as I said:
"You can unsubscribe at any time from the same place."

So the same button you click to start getting email updates is also the button you click to stop getting email updates.

Posted by .

Yeah, more buttons! 🙂

Posted by .

Well like all the new feature it’s good. I probably won’t use it much because I already read every new comment every day (I am quite happily addicted). But let me thank you overall Jeremy, this site just gets better and better. Your recent changes in the tunes section have been brilliant.

Posted by .

Thanks, Jeremy. This sounds like a useful feature – should save a lot of excavation.

Thanks Jeremy. I have it now.

Hey Jeremy- I’ve got another feature request that’s not related to this one (didn’t want to cause any trouble by making a feature request post in discussions).
How about a follow feature where, when on a user’s profile page, you could get email updates when they post a new tune/setting?
P.S. why am I not getting weekly emails?? I used to!

Jeremy, doesn’t seem to be working for me - eg. Anon _Piper’s message 11 mins ago was definitely not in my inbox? Yes I did double check my email address is correct in my profile

Anonymous_Piper asked:
"P.S. why am I not getting weekly emails?? I used to!"

It looks like you haven’t subscribed to weekly emails: you can fix this from your member profile (use "edit your details" and then tick the checkbox for email updates). There’s no record of your email address ever having been subscribed to email updates.

christy taylor wrote:
"Jeremy, doesn’t seem to be working for me - eg. Anon _Piper’s message 11 mins ago was definitely not in my inbox?"

You haven’t subscribed to this discussion. Does the email button after these comments say "Stop getting email when someone adds a comment." or "Get an email when someone adds a comment."? If it’s the former, you’re subscribed. If it’s the latter, you’re not subscribed and you’ll need to press that button.

Posted by .

ok Jeremy thanks, sorted now

Excellent addition, especially for sessions. Pity you can’t (without being in breach of GDPR) automatically sign up the original session poster for emails whenever someone comments!

I think this would be brilliant, Calum!
abcjs can be very handy if it is applied just a bit more on trad music sites.

https://imgur.com/a/6lW20HL

Posted by .

Is it fair to say I’m not excited about any of the many "new site features"? I can see where
this particular feature is beneficial under the categories of TRIPS, SESSIONS & EVENTS.
Beyond that though I cannot see using it.

Jeremy, if you want me to respond honestly I (personally) would never use this feature
under the other categories. I don’t want to discourage any members who are using this in those other categories.
I emphatically want to hear from them if they find the feature useful in those situations.

Jeremy, I’m not trying to cut you down. I’m not trying to tell you how to operate thesession.org.
I want to hear exactly how other members use the site.

I loved the mouse over incipits in the tune settings. I appreciate the TRIPS category (it will be back).
Editing RECORDINGS tracks was huge…etc. This particular feature (email updates) is brilliant
for the 3 categories I listed. But it’s inclusion at the tail end of every one of the DISCUSSIONS
(which is exactly what I am frequently reading) is not something I will use. I’m reading the comments.
Frankly I have little use for an email notification about recent DISCUSSIONS’ comments.

I hope my post is not taken the wrong way. I appreciate being able to post openly on this forum and want the same for all members.

Cheers!
AB

Posted by .

AB, that’s absolutely fine. You don’t have to use this feature (or any feature). It isn’t enabled by default. You’d have to choose to receive email updates. So if you don’t want to get email updates, do nothing. The path of least resistance gives you exactly what you want.

And I agree that this feature is definitely most useful for sessions and trips. For discussions, it’s probably most useful to the person who starts the discussion (although if someone posts a lengthy well thought-out response, I imagine they too would like to be notified of any follow-up comments).

But ultimately it’s up to each individual. If someone is really eager to be notified of any comments on a particular recording, they can get the email updates for that. Most people probably wouldn’t be interested. They don’t have to do anything. Everything continues just as it did before.

Or perhaps I’m misunderstanding: are you saying that just *seeing* the email updates button is upsetting? In other words, do you resent the fact that it’s taking up space between the comments and the comment form? I was hoping it was unobtrusive enough not to be bothersome. But maybe it could appear after the comment form.

Posted by .

I’ve just been through and subscribed to email updates to all my old tune settings - fortunately only about a dozen!

Great new feature! One minor suggestion that may just be me being confused, after setting it on and forgetting, I then couldn’t tell immediately if ‘Get an email when someone adds a comment’ was the state (i.e. I am currently getting the emails, like a checkbox) or the command for the button, so I had to click the button a couple of times to make sure it was toggled how I want.

Posted by .

I have a month old baby and have had only 3 hours of sleep though, I think it’s actually fine :D

Posted by .

James, maybe that’s the ultimate user testing criterion—if an interface element still works when you’re in that state, it passes the stress test. 🙂

And congratulations!

Posted by .

"And I agree that this feature is definitely most useful for sessions and trips. For discussions, it’s *probably most useful to the person who starts the discussion.*

Yes that’s true. I just know this site has notifications for just that sort of situation on the site. I think the site might have features members would use more often but not everyone knows where these helpful features are.

True this link is not an email but it does exist in every members profile at the bottom of the page.
https://thesession.org/members/1/notifications
>> https://thesession.org/members/1/notifications/discussions

Thanks for the response, Jeremy!

Posted by .