ROUNDS - bet there are lots in Irish music

ROUNDS - bet there are lots in Irish music

I and my Mum used often to sing rounds together. i.e. you start the song then the 2nd starts a line later. 3 part, 4 part rounds possible with enough voices. (Nice if you’re walking under a disused railway bridge and get that echo too!). "Drops of Brandy" (slip jig) would make a great round on flute, fiddle or whatever!

Re: ROUNDS - bet there are lots in Irish music

I can only think of rounds of drinks in Irish music.

Only Irish trad tune I think I’ve heard played this way was George Brabazon - https://thesession.org/tunes/13695 - possibly by the Chieftains.

Yeah — rounds are dangerous. A few rounds in, you have no idea if the B part you’re playing goes with the A part you’ve just played.

You never know, listeners might find what you call wrong DELIGHTFUL They prob. v had too many rounds though and are not connoisseurs &* Anyhow, Irish tunes go round and round like clockwork - repeat A part, go into B, then start again with the tune. Same thing, wldnt u think?

I can’t think of a single one in my repertoire…

I’ve never heard one to be honest

I was told years ago that The Butterfly could be played as a round but that it was a bit naff. I never actually heard it, so in the end the temptation got too much and I did it digitally:
https://youtu.be/I_xSb7ZnXPM

Posted by .

There are probably a few tunes where the A- and B-parts can be played simultaneously without dissonance - and many more that *almost* can. It might be an interesting excercise to identify them and amuse yourself with them, but I don’t believe it would bring any improvement the tunes.

Rounds proper are composed specifically for that purpose; with jigs and reels, you are relying purely on chance. There might be the odd one that makes a really good round, but mostly, I think the result would be a mixture of unison, dissonance and harmonic mush – as opposed to the clear and elegant melodic line with a neat call-and-answer structure we hear when a tune is played solo or in unison. (Traditionally, ‘fullness’ of sound comes from *heterophony*, where each player plays the tune with slight variations, creating a perpetual tension-resolution cycle).

CreadurMawnOrganig said "There are probably a few tunes where the A- and B-parts can be played simultaneously without dissonance…"

Myself and my fiddle-playing wife sometimes do this with Johnny O’Leary’s slide:
https://thesession.org/tunes/11897

You can keep repeating the first part while someone plays one of the other parts over it. All three parts harmonise quite nicely. The tune has quite a riff-like groove to it which suits the layering effect you get from playing it like a round.

But I don’t think I’d ever do it in the context of a session—might get some funny looks!

I used to play in a session with a person who got the notion that rounds would be great craic and would spontaneously play B parts against A parts etc. It was extremely disruptive and we had to ask her in no uncertain terms to stop.

I think as soon as someone started a round there would be a rush to the toilets or the bar or home!

Well, that was fun:

X:1
T: The Bucks Of Oranmore
R: reel
M: 4/4
Q:220
L: 1/8
K:Dmaj
V:1 %%MIDI program 0
A2FA A2dB|A2FA BEE2|A2FA A2Bd|egfd edBd|
A2FA A2dB|A2FA BEE2|DEFG AFAB|defd edBd||
ADFD A2dB|ADFD BEE2|ADFD A2Bd|egfd edBd|
ADFD A2dB|ADFD BEE2|DEFG AFAB|defd efge||
a2fd edef|a2fd ed B2|a2fd edef|gefd edB2|
a2fd edef|a2fd edB2|faaf bfaf|gefd edBd||
f2df e2de|f2df edBd|f2df e2de|gefd edBd|
f2df e2de|f2df edBd|faaf bfaf|gefd edBd||
Adfd edfd|Adfd edBd|Adfd edfd|gefd edBd|
Adfd edfd|Adfd edB2|faaf bfaf|gefd edBd||
V:2 %%MIDI program 21
V:3 %%MIDI program 40
V:4 %%MIDI program 73
V:5 %%MIDI program 105

@benhockenberry. Please don’t start giving people ideas.
I (am thinking of the Tunes Section, but I just can’t think of a polite way to express myself)

Posted by .

Ruining all of my fun, Gobby! :D

Back to the Butterfly. I have heard, and played, the Butterfly as a round. it helps to have all of one instrument play together … say fiddles, flutes, concertina … to clearly separate the parts. The first time it felt kind of charming, different. The second time less so, the third time really not so much. After that, well, just annoying. Not surprised. Still, it did no harm to give it a shot.

Back to the Butterfly. I have heard, and played, the Butterfly as a round. it helps to have all of one instrument play together … say fiddles, flutes, concertina … to clearly separate the parts. The first time it felt kind of charming, different. The second time less so, the third time really not so much. After that, well, just annoying. Not surprised. Still, it did no harm to give it a shot.

🙂 Choons

I guess anything is fun one time as a party trick. Try the Butterfly in 5/4, that’s a good one… just once, and then back to the danceable ITM tunes.

The first time it felt kind of charming, different. The second time less so, the third time really not so much. After that, well, just annoying. Not surprised. Still, it did no harm to give it a shot. Back to the Butterfly. I have heard, and played, the Butterfly as a round. it helps to have all of one instrument play together … say fiddles, flutes, concertina … to clearly separate the parts.

As far as tunes go, I’m very much in line with everyone else, but it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they exist in the song tradition. There are a huge number of rounds and catches in the English song tradition, though rarely heard. As with so much folk tradition collecting, I suspect a lot have been lost due to collectors not knowing to look for them.

Posted by .

Singers should try singing rounds under a derelict railway bridge when on a country walk (in Ireland, Scotland or England or wherever). The echo adds superbly and gives that eerie efeect. Course a dog howling or barking would be an added extra!

Ghoid Iad Mo Bhean Uam An Reir is a great round… because it sounds amazing. The second section is boring enough to be a great accompaniment to the first part.

greatauk : boring enough - don’t be unkind…….