Cotton lint in wooden flute

Cotton lint in wooden flute

I have noticed a few small fibres of cotton in my flute in a fairly inaccessible part of it. They must be from the rag I mop it out with. Any suggestions about how to get them out? Thanks.

Re: Cotton lint in wooden flute

Use a lint free rag when you next clean your flute?

Power hose ?

I found a solution: a long, thin, stiff bit of card, turned up at the end, fetched it out nicely. I’ll get myself a silk cloth today.

I may patent the idea! 😂

Silk swab is the way to go, but good job getting the lint out!

FWIW, I’m using an absolutely ancient old vintage handkerchief. Soft as anything and cotton, but it’s been around so long that it probably stopped dropping lint sometime during the Nixon administration. Maybe you can look in any antique stores and see if you can find something similar.

Ditto on the absolutely old handkerchief. Mine is so old it looks like it has been stained by tea for years, and pokes through the fabric with the stick used to push it if I am not careful. Second hand stores are a great source.

Your flute gets wet whenever you play, so washing it out is not as daft as it might sound. With respect and care of course.

I use one of those optical cleaning towels to get the gunk out. They’re a type of microfiber material, but they have no nap, as they’re almost satiny to the touch. The one I use is made by a company called Spudz. It was made to clean Optics, like camera, binocular and scope lenses. Works great and leaves nothing behind.

I paid $5 or $6 for it a few years back.

I use the same thing and it is the best. Besides the advantages mentioned, a five-inch square cloth is much smaller than the usual cloths used. Such cloths are fine for Boehm flutes, but tend to jam in a conical bore.

Posted by .