Slowing down the audio?

Slowing down the audio?

Hi, The play audio button that comes with a tune, is there a way of slowing it down?

Re: Slowing down the audio?

I was wondering the same thing.

Often the audio playback is an inappropriate speed, though that can be fixed mostly by the choice of the time signature and note-values you use.

Just recently somebody posted a tune using the 4/4 time signature but they halved all the note-values, which makes the audio playback at double speed! If they changed the time signature to 2/4 the audio playback would be normal.

The best way is probably to download the ABC and play it in an ABC program like ABCnavigator., Or download the MIDI file and play that in something like MIDIplay.

What Mark said: use the download link (under the ABC tab of each tune setting) to download either the midi file or the ABC file of that setting. Then you can adjust playback speed, transpose, and more.

Hello, nik nak, this website does not have a way to directly alter the playback tempo.
A few months back I posted one way to change the playback tempo using a copy of the abc text and pasting it into the abcjs configurator. Here is the link to the post.
https://thesession.org/discussions/45644#comment911197

Posted by .

What’s the point of slowering down MIDI? Find the tune you’re interested in on YT and play along with it slowered down.

Posted by .

Try to learn it from a good performance recording rather than from MIDI, it will make a world of difference

Those issues always arise, Mars & Loughcurra. It’s helpful to know how to control or adjust the abc and/or midi *if* you’re going to use them. The raw files have tempo defaults depending on tune types so a bit of guidance and experience can be helpful if you’re trying to listen to one where the tempo is too fast or too slow. In such cases corrections can be made with various abc software, plugins, etc. not included in thesession.org features.

Posted by .

I think Jeremy’s system uses a setting of 100 bpm. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted by .

Thanks everyone for pointing in the right direction.

I’m another who really does not like learning from abc, even at a good speed. But the "play" facility is great if, like me, you are not a fluent sight reader. You can listen to 3 or 4 bars and say, "Oh, that one!"

Posted by .

Just a heads-up that I’ve adjusted the default playback speed slightly—it’s a little bit slower overall. And for some tune types (slides and slip jigs in particular) it should play back at a more normal speed now—previously it was playing those back far too fast.

With «the session» site, you could use a software like Audacity to record the tune in mp3. (and change the tempo later). Many audio players can play the tune, slow it down, and even change the pitch.
You could try VLC (with the extended toolbar,) and if you are with a computer with linux, try «Play it slowly»
Here is a very convenient on line audio player, i use it to practice every week, and it’s free (no ads, no problems)
it is called «timestretch».
Try a navigator such as Firefox. With extensions, you can easily download some you tube videos in audio and play along later. It’s more fun to play with Sharon Shannon or Frankie Gavin !
e-ev-en withhhh a-slow-down -tem-po…

Hi Jeremy. Thank you so much for slowing down the speed. It is much easier to distinguish individual notes in three-twos, too.

I think there’s something to be said for learning a tune from the basic sheet music or MIDI file as opposed to from a video of a performance. Sometimes you just want to go "bare bones" into a tune in order to add your own style of feel and ornamentation, whereas when you learn a tune from a video of a performance you’re invariably influenced by their interpretation of the melody and the style they add to it. Personally though, I never play along with MIDI files, I just listen to them to get the basic melody into my head and then I start picking the notes out on the instrument from memory.