Fort Bragg California

Fort Bragg California

is there anyone playing tunes in or around Ft Bragg? I may be taking a summer job there, some tunes would be nice.

Re: Fort Bragg California

Nearby in Mendocino there’s a summer folk music camp that’s been going on for many years, Lark Camp.

https://www.larkcamp.org/

There are big trad Irish sessions every night for two weeks as well as workshops, and random sessions happening throughout the day every day.

Not sure about the Covid impact on 2021.

You’ll be able to play along with the Fort Bragg foghorn, which goes off every 30 seconds, 24 hours a day.
Drove me nuts when we stayed a year or two ago.
Not sure which key it plays in?

Every 30 seconds, 24 hours a day? that would drive anyone nuts, presumably only when it was foggy? I remember there used to be a foghorn in Dun Laoghaire when I was growing up but only on foggy days. Not sure about the key of that - but I wonder do foghorns have a particular frequency so they can be identified, like lighthouses?

Posted by .

OK, this made me curious. If you search Youtube for ´Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg, California´, you can hear the horn in question on several videos. I believe it is technically an ´Aid to Navigation´ and not a ´Foghorn´ as such. Quite a bit higher pitch than a ´Foghorn´. I timed it at a period slightly longer than 30 seconds. And, aye, it is loud.
As a child I walked the (New) Dungeness Spit in Washington State, USA, in the fog and heard the Foghorn sound it´s warning, about three octaves lower than the Noyo Harbor horn.

We stayed at the North Cliff Hotel in Fort Bragg, overlooking the Noyo River estuary.
Believe me, that horn was loud, especially on a still warm summers night, when you try to sleep with the windows open.
Windows shut, earplugs and a good dosing with Maker’s Mark still didn’t lead to a restful night.
Read the Traveller comments on the North Cliff Hotel!

Beautiful place though, and Mendocino is as quaint as you’d like.

I have fond childhood memories of living in Sausaito when the summer fog tenacles would creep over the coastal hills and down the canyons into the town in the early evenings, and knowing I’d be lulled to sleep by the muffled groan of the fog horns on the Golden Gate bridge.

Maybe I’ll go over to the lighthouse group and see if they know anything about Irish sessions