Sonny’s mazurka

Sonny’s mazurka

Hi out there-

Are there two Sonny’s Mazurkas? I was listening on utube and I found a group playing a set that said “ Sonny’s Mazukas”. I found only one of the tunes on The Session.

Thanks!

Re: Sonny’s mazurka

You just never know with these Irish tunes; especially mazurkas with someone’s name in front of them…
https://thesession.org/tunes/8758#comment387836
Actually though sometimes a set of tunes is listed by a name for just one of the tunes (you just never know, until you do know). Do you have a link for the video?

Posted by .

the tune I have always known as Sonny’s Mazurka, [or Sonny Brogan’s, Francie Mooney’s, Johnny Doherty’s, etc] is the one listed 5476 in D major in AB’s link above. The other ‘Sonny’s Mazurka’ in G, alternatively titled ‘Mazurka d’Auvergne’ is definitely French trad and not Irish at all. But without knowing which one Laura was listening to…………..?

Laura, is this the group you were referring to:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBhoLuqj6WU

If so the second tune is often Called Charlie Lennon´s, or The Old Donegal Mazurka, Henrik Norbek has it as as The Irish Mazurka as well.

If that´s not the same group, do give us a link.

yes the 1st tune in postie’s Youtube link is the one I know as Sonny’s Mazurka

At our session in Ithaca, we always play two tunes that we call Sonny’s Mazurka #1 and Sonny’s Mazurka #2
as played by the Chieftains here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zd3Bxwv9ww

The second one, in particular, sounds like it could have come from Scandinavia.
But, I guess, mazurkas are not "native to Ireland" but are more "Pan-European" tunes.

I’ve heard of this second mazurka in that video also called Tommy Peoples’. That’s what it’s listed as here on one of the Na Connerys recordings.

I know that 2nd tune as Vincent Campbells - but also listed as Francie Mooney’s and Johnny Doherty’s. The mazurka may have come from Central Europe but for whatever reason has established firm roots in Donegal.

Thanks for all of your help.
Yes (to “Postie). That is the video. There are three tunes in the Set.

I recognize the first tune as one we play in our Session and I don’t remember it’s name. Could someone please tell me? Besides Sonny’s Mazurka?I wish I could get in touch with our concertina player because I think she’s the one that plays it in one of her sets. She might in fact call it “Sonny’s Mazurka”. I don’t know.

The second tune is what I’ve learned on OIMA and they call it “Sonny’s Mazurka”.

The third tune they go into is the “ The Silver Spear”.

Oh- I just played the Chieftains’ Celtic Harp CD (Ithaca-Markb) and the second tune is very similar -
I would say the same as the “Sonny’s Mazurka” that I learned from OIMA.

Has anyone heard OIMAs’ version ? They have very few Mazurkas … -like someone said - they don’t seem very Irish. More like a tune our international dance group would do.

I’d say asking the concertina player is probably your best bet. Some of these mazurkas have lots of names, and she might have learned it under any of them.