Call the Trad police, ‘cause I’m guilty, guilty, guilty…

Call the Trad police, ‘cause I’m guilty, guilty, guilty…

Today I was working on putting together a simple backing track for practicing the wonderful Richie Dwyer reel "Greta’s Favourite", which I’ve recently learned on B/C box:

http://michaeleskin.com/transcriptions/gretas_favourite.pdf

Normally, I’d just do a simple stride piano style backup track, but somehow, I ended up in "The Danger Zone":

http://michaeleskin.com/recordings/backing_tracks/gretas_favourite_backup.mp3

and (same, but a little faster):

http://michaeleskin.com/recordings/backing_tracks/gretas_favourite_backup_faster.mp3

I hope they have WiFi in trad prison… 🙂

Re: Call the Trad police, ‘cause I’m guilty, guilty, guilty…

This can sometimes feel like trad prison. It has WiFi. @ least if anyone is reading this it does.
What is this, Judge Jeanine? It’s not & assuming the worst detracts from your contribution.
Cheers, Michael!

Posted by .

You’re too harsh on yourself! Before I listened I feared j**z influence with di*****shed chords at 150 bpm.

Posted by .

I love diminished chords. You hear them all the time in Shetland and on the box and fiddle scene in Scotland.
There are many different ways to accompany and variety is good. It’s about making music, not curating a museum.

That’s like "Bruce Hornsby And The Range" !! (Every Little Kiss)

As you’ll know Michael, playing trad tunes on CBA emphasises how often diminished patterns arise.

Not unlike what my 6-year-old granddaughter was “doing” on my keyboard yesterday to while away a rainy day! She has started learning piano, so she had a good right hand going, while I switched on the pop/rock rhythm, split keyboard and auto piano accompaniment for her!
(Only joking, Michael! Yours really rocks!)

It might not be trad, but it is very catchy. It’s hard not to groove along with it!

I definitely do not hate it.

The tune is definitely trad, but the backup, not so much.

Thinking of doing a reggae version next… 🙂

Great stuff! And it does support the idea of playing along with backing tracks (which was discussed a while back) to encourage good timing: and yours is, of course, perfect, Michael!
Looks like the same box as mine too? (B/C Irish Bouebe)

Now I’m gonna have to get and learn how to use Band in a Box, whatever that is. It’s way better than my drum rhythm track apps. Sounds like more fun than I have a right to know about! Thanks.

And…I’ll probably take some fire for saying this, but anybody who can’t see how that could make them a better player, well, just needs an "imagination tune-up".

Sorry michael under regulation 6.2.7; use of metronome, 13 .3.8 non trad accompaniment and 9 drum machine you will need to turn yourself in for judgement of your peers “Anything you play may be taken down and used against you in court “
But as youve admitted guilt i think the judged decision will be leniant . Mind you i think there are still outstanding charges related to digital instruments contravening regulation16.3.8 use of Apps in session contravening regulation 3.2.1

“Diminished chords in Shetland music” I would like to hear an example of that. Curious.

You’ll just have to run for it when you hear the mixolydian siren coming! 😉
(Your location may vary.)

JW - “Diminished chords in Shetland music” I would like to hear an example of that. Curious.
Peerie Willie Johnson’s playing?

Probably not what you’re thinking of but there’s a diminished arpeggio in a major scale starting on the seventh.
Folk tune finder comes up with 35,000 or so reels that start with this figure.
Whether you’d want to use a diminished chord as accompaniment is another matter, but a V chord seventh has those three notes in it. Sevenths are another matter again!

Nice one Donald, im a big fan of gypsy jazz, not that i can play any 🙂 and this reminds me of Django and Stefan . I think the bottom line is backers knowing what is going on and being super familiar with the music , if thats the case anything goes in music .

Hopefully they see your video & take it from there.

Posted by .

Are you going to post the reggae version publicly too, Michael? Fun stuff!

Please go for the reggae version Michael!!!

To give you some ideas, this Breton band did it to a very high level. This was really long long time ago:

https://youtu.be/5b49hsdGgCI

It would be nice if in the background you added some effects like the sound of a drag given to joint 😆

Ben, I saw you popped into my Facebook Live when I was playing the reggae version for like an hour straight. 🙂

It is an earworm in a good way. Reminded me a bit of the Renegade CD