Genre description help

Genre description help

How would you describe a group who plays a little Irish, a little French, a little Canadian, a little Spanish (Aragon, I think)? Like, a three or four word description for a poster or something like that.

Re: Genre description help

What instruments? Singing?

Posted by .

Flue and guitar. Mostly tunes, a couple songs. The songs are basic Irish stuff.

Hello Arthur Figgis
In four words….

TITANIC!
GOES DOWN WELL!

You have an interesting, if somewhat diverse, range of material from so many cultures. Hence my suggestion, The Titanic had four funnels.
Are you playing to a traditional Irish, (‘Celtic-sort of’) Community
or a more ‘laissez faire’ audience, such as a Folk Club, Arts Centre? I think that is an important consideration.
Whatever, I wish you well in your venture

Keep safe and well
All the best
Brian x

Natural music

Posted by .

North Atlantic

(But will anyone know what you mean!)

Posted by .

I think you’ll find that’s "World Music" 😉

I rather like Tom B’s ‘North Atlantic’ as all the countries named have coasts on that ocean

Would just call it traditional, or maybe instrumental folk.

Posted by .

I also like the suggestion of ‘North Atlantic’.

However in the real world the fact that you play a small amount of Irish, plus other musical cultures that the non-informed listener also mistakes for Irish, means that most people will call you an Irish (or Celtic) band whatever you try to say otherwise!

Posted by .

‘North Atlantic’ suggests sea shanties to me.

I’d go for something like ‘eclectic music from there and here’.

Posted by .

GW: "eclectic music from there and here".

That might be a little too vague. It might have people expecting Tibetan chants with panpipes, didgeridoo and African grooves – or even Beethoven alongside K-pop.

‘North Atlantic’ does rather put me in mind of a certain military alliance, but it is at least accurate.

"Un-focussed folk".

Posted by .

Is it really a little of each of four very different styles, or is there one that predominates? I know quite a few Irish and Scottish bands and duos that play the occasional set of tunes from a different musical culture such as Galician, Breton, Norwegian, Swedish or French Canadian, but their main style and approach to the music will remain Irish or Scottish. I’m not convinced that a completely eclectic approach works well - you really have to develop within a certain tradition and style.

"a little Irish, a little French, a little Canadian, a little Spanish"

Do four "littles" make a whole?

Or is it, "quite a bit Irish, quite a bit French, quite a bit Canadian, quite a bit Spanish"?

If you’re trying to attract the general public with the poster then I don’t think you want to be too specific because it won’t mean anything to them. "Folk Tunes and Songs" might give enough of a flavour of what you’re about.

Éirnadian Espançais

Posted by .

FWIW, Brian Taheny, Dan MacDonald and Ross Griffiths have a band named "North Atlantic Drift"

Posted by .

@Borderer Right now it’s more Irish than the others, for sure. But that’s probably more because my own limitations.

We don’t want to just say “Irish,” because half of the set isn’t. Trying to avoid “traditional,” because people have differing, sometimes contentious ideas about what that means. It’s just…tunes and a couple songs.

Celtic world folk music (the commas are silent).

Don’t overthink it. Nobody’s going to care. Sounds like a fun eclectic bunch of musical mates. Liquorice All-Sorts Trad.

Posted by .

"Multi-genre"?

""Un-focussed folk".

# Posted by Kenny one day ago."

You mean "un-folk-ussed?"

In the 70s it would be "progressive acoustic" 🙂

Celtique ..?

Posted by .

Irish music with other detours along the way.

Posted by .

I don’t know, Un-Americana?