Christy Moore_St. Andrews Folk Club 1969

Christy Moore_St. Andrews Folk Club 1969

One of the best folk clubs in Scotland in the 1960s and into the 1970s was in St. Andrews in Fife. Most of the music performed on these evenings was recorded - always as far as I know , with the artiste’s permission - and my brother told me last week that these recordings are now being posted on "Youtube". There won’t probably be all that much instrumental music, but I thought this recording of a few songs by Christy Moore might be of interest to his many fans. This performance would have taken place just before the formation of "Planxty".
https://youtu.be/Q3EPWlyrehQ

Posted by .

Re: Christy Moore_St. Andrews Folk Club 1969

I agree with Kenny about the quality of St Andrews Folk Club. It was mostly solo singers (occasional duos). It was expensive to hire bands so they were mostly seen at the St Andrews Folk Festival rather than the regular Sunday nights. I was a regular attender from 1975 into the 1980s and remember a great range of performers, many from Fife and Tayside but also from all over. Artie and Cilla, Bob Fox and Stu Luckley, Iain Mackintosh, Brian Golbey and Pete Stanley, John Watt and Davie Stuart, John James, Brian Millar, Ron Fleming, Les Barker, Sally Rogers, Silly Wizard, Pegleg Ferret, High Level Ranters, Ceolbeag are only a few who gave wonderful performances!

Regular comperes were Alex Liggins and later Sheena Wellington (commere?). It was very welcoming to floor singers, and some - e.g. Sheena W. and Maureen Jelks - were of professional standard in their own right. Almost every performance was recorded by one of the committee (called Andy Watson, if I remember rightly). Maybe Kenny could direct us to any other recordings he comes across?

Hi Borderer - it is indeed Andy Watson who is digitising and uploading the recordings made at the club over the years. He has done so with many already, but really of only possibly marginal interest to a website dedicated to Irish traditional music. "Search" for "St. Andrews Folk Club" in "Youtube", and you’ll find performances by the likes of Archie Fisher, Hamish Imlach, Iain Mackintosh and many others.
PS - and yes, we did take a liberty with the spelling, but we called ourselves "Ceolbeg" [sic ]. Possibly the most mis-spelt Scottish band name of all time 🙂

Posted by .

Just listened to the first few songs. Great quality, great singing. Thanks Kenny.