Hygrometer recommendation

Hygrometer recommendation

I recently put the 4 hygrometers I have, which are normally in different rooms and different plastic containers with my flutes, into one room. The next day I checked the readings. They were (% relative humidity): 58, 44, 37, 26! Can anyone recommend an adjustable hygrometer that they know to be accurate, or does such an instrument not exist? Ideally it would be small enough to fit into the Rubbermaid plastic containers I keep my flutes in. The smallest of these that I use is about 17x10x6 inches. I”m located in North America (Canada). Thanks, Chet

Posted by .

Re: Hygrometer recommendation

I use this from Amazon— $12. No problems so far. "ThermoPro TP50 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Room Thermometer and Humidity Gauge with Temperature Humidity Monitor."

If the RH is above 40% I don’t worry. I also use water pillows in each of my flute cases. Keeps the RH between 50% and 60%. The cost is minimal— 70¢ each. "Prestige Import Group - Water Humidification Pillows Portable Humidifiers for Cigar Humidification - 10 Pack" Each lasts about 6 weeks or longer.

Thanks, David. I’m not sure if the water pillows would work with a Carvallo soft case, but they sound sensible for hard cases. I’ll look into the ThermoPro hygrometer. I should have searched for a good hygrometer years ago, but except for an analog one which I’ve had for 30 or 40 years (and which may still be the most accurate), I’ve only bought cheap ones. The result shows. I’ve also returned a couple of disaster ones. Chet

Posted by .

You could just buy a pack of water pillows, put one a plastic bag and keep the soft roll-up case in the bag during the dry winter moths. At this time of the year I don’t worry so much.

In any case, water pillows are hydrometric tranquilizers for fluters.

That’s a tough one. With so many different readings how do you know? It would be nice if you could test them against one you know is accurate but I’m not sure where you would find that resource. I imagine there are some used by corporations and Universities that are more reliable and expensive. I have used the same one(s) for several years now but never compared them to other brands. I wouldn’t say I trust them for accuracy but rather I have a feel for the range of reading and try to keep it above the middle or higher. It’s hard to do in the winter in Northern Indiana but I come close.

Man with two watches never knows right time.

Hygrometers (both analogue and electronic) are never accurate, and their calibration drifts over time. However, their response is linear, so that if you perform a calibration and find it is over reading by 10% at 75%RH then it will be over reading by 10% across the rest of the scale and you can do the maths.

https://musicsorbonline.com/faqs/hygrometer-accuracy-test/

I found the simplest solution for me was something a piper friend recommended. Get a plastic traveling soap case (for bar soap… got mine from Walmart for around two dollars), drill a series of 1/4" holes in the top. Add two anti-bacterial anti-mold sponges cut to shape. Wet the sponges then squeeze them out a bit so they aren’t
dripping and keep them in your case. Works great and doesn’t cost much at all.

I second WireHarp on that approach - you can also use a toothbrush holder depending on size limitations.

I would suggest you calibrate one of the hygrometers using a simple kit like this:

https://store.bovedainc.com/products/hygrometer-calibration

Calibrate what you think is the best of your lot. If your hygrometer is not the adjustable type, calibration means labeling the hygrometer with a correction value, such as "Add 4% to reading."

Once you know that one is correct, you can easily calculate what percent to add to or subtract from the readings of the others, and label those correspondingly.

If you don’t want to spend $7US on a calibration kit and just want them all to read the same, ignore the biggest outlier, then pick the middle value (44) as your baseline, and label all the others to be corrected to the middle value.

Personally, I would not reuse the same calibration kit on multiple hygrometers without confirming that it gives the same result a second time. I’m guessing it will drift.

You don’t need to spend money on a ‘calibration kit’, all you need is some table salt and a ziplok bag (and it looks as though that is all there is in the $7 ’ kit’). There are instructions if you follow the link in my previous post.