How is concertina related to one row melodeon?

How is concertina related to one row melodeon?

Hi all,

I have a hohner melodeon in the house and I’ve had a desire to make some noise on it lately.

I play concertina to a good level. I recall someone telling me one row melodeon has got the middle row of a 30 key concertina. Is this the case?

I think the melodeon is in C. There’s 4 bass notes on it too. Can anyone recommend some good tunes to start off on?

Re: How is concertina related to one row melodeon?

Pretty much that’s the case for a C/G tuned Anglo Concertina.

The center row is essentially the same as splitting a 10-button C melodeon across the two sides.

The bottom row is the same but resembles a single row melodeon in the key of G.

The top row is all the accidentals not present in the scales of C or G, for example, Bb, C#, G#, D#, plus a few notes in the reversal direction not available on either the C and G row, such as a Push A and others.

For the entire instrument, the left side buttons are the lower notes, the right side buttons are the higher notes.

Forget about the bass side of the melodeon, there is no direct mapping of that to the Anglo Concertina.

If the melodeon is actually in C, then the bass notes are likely to be C push, G pull and F both ways.
The polkas Britches full of Stitches and Bill Sullivan’s are reckoned good starter tunes, normally played in A they’ll be coming out in G on your box. Connaughtman’s Rambles /My darling Asleep are a good couple of jigs to start with, usually D they’ll be in C on your box. Good luck!

Here’s a couple of diagrams showing the note mapping buttons on a modified (primarily having to do with the right side C# and D# on the top row) Jeffries layout C/G Anglo concertina you were to lay the two sides out next to each other (as I do in my Concertina XL iPad app):

Push notes:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/352/19060626466_b6fa3f76fc_o.jpg

Pull (draw) notes:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/446/18899185788_03c3557f65_k.jpg

Thanks all