Dezi Donnelly’s Padgin O’Rafferty

Dezi Donnelly’s Padgin O’Rafferty

I’ve been playing this lovely tune recently (Dezi Donnelly’s Padgin O’Rafferty off the ‘Familiar Footsteps’ CD.) But I don’t think the name is right? Any idea what it’s actually called.
Cheers.

Re: Dezi Donnelly’s Padgin O’Rafferty

Paidín Óg Rafferty. Great piping tune, with endless variations. Great Pub Song, with countless humorous verses recounting the exploits of the boastful Paidín.

No reason to think the name isn’t right, there are a LOT of Paidin O’ Rafferty’s. It’s been said before, but bears saying again, trad tune names shouldn’t be held as ironclad or gospel.

@Corin: True dat. Usually when a tune’s associated with a prolific composer like ed reavy or simply with a well-known player, (e.g. there’s a stack of martin wynne’s..)
@postie: Sounds intriguing. I’ll look the lyrics up.
@jeff: looks like maybe that’s close enough. Padgin O’Rafferty it is then…
Cheers.

I read in O’Neill it is said to be named after a boy who used to open the gate for Carolan when he went to visit Bridget Cruise. The way O’Neill mentions it makes it sound like he knows it’s just folklore attached to the tune. Good tale none the less!

To me it sound like an older March tune for war pipes or indeed the harp elaborated on by Carolan and others.

Like his treatment of Cock Up Your Beaver.

Anyone have any massive elaborate settings not mentioned in the comments.

Posted by .

@TheHappyCamper Indeed! Ed Reavy is a perfect comparison. Same with the Paddies Kelly and Fahy et al. Especially as we "mature" players start remembering less tune names specifically!

"trad tune names shouldn’t be held as ironclad or gospel." That may well hold true for "trad" tunes where the name of the composer has been lost in time. Ed Reavy has been mentioned. Do you not agree that if he composes a tune and gives it a title, that wish should be respected ?

Posted by .

@Kenny. ‘Do you not agree that if he composes a tune and gives it a title, that wish should be respected ?’ Totally agree. But so many times, a musician picks up a tune & can’t remember the name, only who wrote it, or who they learned it from. If *they*are famous enough, the people who subsequently learn it from him/her think that name is germane, and hence you get ‘Ed Reavy’s no.#345’.

Its only when you have a resource to compare tunes like thesession’s tunes, that these can get folded back to their correct names, even then its only if someone picks up on it does that happen. There are tunes on here still which appear twice (ie under different names that aren’t associated with each other - i noticed one the other day)

Also, Ed Reavy - did that man ever write a naff tune? All of his that I know are real belters!

Kenny, I think in the grand scheme of things, playing the tunes in a setting most true to the intent of the composer is a pretty high form of respect. Something has to give, I know I have hundreds of tunes in my head, including numerous Ed Reavy ones, and catalouging them all by proper name is simply too much to keep circulating!
I also think that if you were to chat w/ Ed through a medium, he would simply be happy that his tunes outlasted him and became a legacy.