Some photos from the restart of our session at The Ould Sod in San Diego

Some photos from the restart of our session at The Ould Sod in San Diego

First session since March 2020. We’re limited to four players for the first few weeks, but still so grateful that the pub survived and that we are able to restart the session.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVGMgqZ

Re: Some photos from the restart of our session at The Ould Sod in San Diego

This was on Tuesday, May 18th, 2021.

Excellent!
Well done chaps!

Very good!

Posted by .

Also a few photos of my first time back co-hosting the session at The Auld Dubliner in Long Beach, CA on May 9, 2021. First time playing there since March 2020:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVMRNCc

I hope to hear more happy stories about other session restarts in the coming weeks!

This does my soul good.

Thanks!

Congratulations, Michael. You should add some of these photos to the front "Home" page here, the 2 I added have been there for months, and we could do with some evidence that at least somewhere on the planet, sessions are back. And brave enough to allow a flute player ! 🙂

Posted by .

Kenny, how would I do that?

Here’s another report on a restart, last weekend here in WA state (and thanks for these photos Michael)!

This wasn’t quite a full return to normal but it was close. It was at our regular brew pub venue, but in a private space behind the public seating area and bar. That let us ignore the still-current WA state rules on occupancy and mask wearing. The ambience was "industrial," surrounded by big stainless steel tanks and not the best acoustics in the world, but plenty of seating and tables as the space is used for private parties. Very good beer was on tap just a short walk away in the public area, so I’m not complaining.

The group was 12 regulars. No masks were worn; the median age of this group is probably mid 60’s, so I guess there was a general assumption that everyone was vaccinated. One whistler was present, so no concerns about wind instruments. I didn’t bring my flute, just the mandolin because I wasn’t sure how it would go. I’ll bring the flute next time.

It was fun, not just the music but also the social re-connection after more than a year seeing each other. At some point. I expect we’ll be moving back into the public area, maybe in a month or two. Considering how rusty we are with some of these tunes, it’s probably a good idea to woodshed in the warehouse room at least one more time before public exposure. 🙂

@Michael - at the foot of the "session.org" home page you’ll see this :
< Join The Session group on Flickr. >
Your photos are on Flickr anyway, but I think you’d have to "log in" if you haven’t posted photos on the group before. To the left of "log in" is a wee cloud with an arrow for "uploads". Clicking on that should allow you to upload any photos from your computer.
Hope this helps.

Posted by .

Kenny, thanks! Added a few.

Here in central Arkansas, the local Sunday afternoon session at Hibernia was re-started earlier this year.

Laurence

thanks Michael, so great to hear that things are starting up again.

Conical bore - "No masks were worn; the median age of this group is probably mid 60’s, so I guess there was a general assumption that everyone was vaccinated."

To my mind, that’s reckless and ill considered. This thing isn’t over by far. People should be made to prove they are vaccinated if gathering in a group as large as you describe. Guessing and assumptions are dangerous, particularly with new virus variants showing up that the vax may not be protecting against.

]]]To my mind, that’s reckless and ill considered. This thing isn’t over by far. People should be made to prove they are vaccinated if gathering in a group as large as you describe. Guessing and assumptions are dangerous, particularly with new virus variants showing up that the vax may not be protecting against.[[[

Unfortunately, our society seems bent on not "making anyone prove they are vaccinated" in such groups (or apparently, in other indoor spaces where one encounters strangers, spaces that are gearing up to abandon masking/distancing protocols). The only choice if the so-called "honor system" is outside one’s comfort zone seems to be staying away from such settings, until either the rules change or one’s comfort zone changes. People do have a choice, after all—to put oneself in that setting … or to pass on it, and stay away.

@michaelr regarding "reckless and ill considered"

I would call it simply recognizing the reality of the current situation, where we all have to make our own choices now.

Here in the US, the previous administration failed to set up a Federal "vaccine passport" system where proof of vaccination status could be tied to public events, and given the current political situation it won’t be happening at the state level either. All we have are our little CDC cards which can be easily faked, and then the honor system among friends you’ve been around for years when it comes to social gatherings like this.

The current US CDC recommendation based on the latest scientific data, is that if you’re vaccinated then you’re not at risk to others, and don’t need to wear a mask indoors. Even if you catch the virus, you won’t have enough of a viral load to transmit it. That puts the onus on those who choose not to get vaccinated to wear a mask to protect themselves.

This is the new reality, now that we have highly effective vaccines. You can choose to participate in a session like this or not, based on your personal comfort level with the situation. As I mentioned in the post, it was still an early experiment, because we were in a private area away from the pub’s public seating due to our state’s current "phase 3" regulations. The state will reopen completely on June 30th. Private businesses like this pub may still continue mask requirements, so I’m not sure how long it might be before we can hold a session like this in the public area, but at least we have this private space option for now.