Attended first post Covid session in South London!

Attended first post Covid session in South London!

Just got back from proper open session in SW19 since last year.
T’was spiritual.

Re: Attended first post Covid session in South London!

Woo hoo!

Indoors, proper session? 🤟

Yes! Indoors, sat around tables covered with pints!

F’in A!

Think you may find that ‘post Covid’ is a bit premature.

I don’t think indoor sessions will happen "Here in Scotland" any time soon.

Live music is to be allowed in bars as long as there is no singing or dancing or any chance of encouraging same. There is to be no communication allowed between punters and musicians. So, at least that will discourage "requests". 🙂

Depending on the venue and set up, sessions can sort of fall between "background music" and "entertainment". Even although we might protest that our session is not a performance 🙂 , the pub management and other "powers that be" might disagree.

Good luck with the music where you are though.

How mny people at SW19?

Gromit: about 8 players and about a dozen onlookers.

I don’t understand the fear prevailing re doing it! It seems two issues are becoming confused.
1: You are more likely pop your socks under a 93 omnibus on the way to the pub than catching COVID at a session! (Let alone dying from it!) As little as four people died of plague yesterday in the whole UK. And they would have really died because of other diseases such as diabetes, stroke, cancer, heart disease as well as technically COVID. Nearly everyone’s had the vaccine. The new infection numbers plummeting indicate that the jabs seem to be working.
2: I know we have to temper views with legal administration and public decency but lets stay realistic! We are still sitting ‘socially distanced’, six at a table, mask if you stand up and all that!

Are we reticent to go to sessions because we are frightened of breaking the law or catching/ spreading COVID? Seems both issues are increasingly insignificant now.

"There is to be no communication allowed between punters and musicians."
Where did that come from ?

Posted by .

1 - the chances of me dying "under a 93 omnibus" are exactly zero.
2 - "As little as four people died of plague yesterday in the whole UK. And they would have really died because of other diseases such as diabetes, stroke, cancer, heart disease as well as technically COVID". I am 100% certain that you do not know the medical histories of the 4 unfortunates who died.
3 - "Nearly everyone’s had the vaccine." That is not true.
4 - "The new infection numbers plummeting indicate that the jabs seem to be working". Announced on Sky News 1 hour ago that the R-number in England has just risen.
5 - "Are we reticent to go to sessions because we are frightened of breaking the law or catching/ spreading COVID? Seems both issues are increasingly insignificant now".
If you’re "breaking the law" it will be the pub owner who pays for it, not you.
" frightened of [ breaking the law ] or catching/ spreading COVID?" Damn right, particularly spreading it to someone else, such as family or friends.

Posted by .

I have to agree with Kenny.

I’m in no rush to play in compromised sessions (or anything else) just for the sake of it.
As far as I’m aware, here (in level 2) in Scotland, six people from three households are now allowed to meet indoors. Having a couple of friends round, and knowing of their adherence to coronavirus rules, will more than satisfy me for the time being.

Kenny, DonaldK: When will you feel comfortable attending a session?

"There is to be no communication allowed between punters and musicians."

Kenny,
I don’t have the newspaper article to hand but, basically, the Scottish Gov seems to be allowing music in bars as long as it’s a "passive"(my description) experience.
So, they don’t want any undue interaction e.g. approaching the artist/musician when he/she is on stage, shouting out requests etc. I realise sessions are a bit different but I’m not sure if they have considered that. It seems to be a "catch all" recommendation.

Of course, musicians and punters would be able to converse but the guidelines seem to make a subtle distinction in that customers shouldn’t "bother" them.

Also, "here in Scotland", customers are expected to remain at their tables. So, the "onlookers" situation described above would not be permissable.

Personally, I agree with Donald and Kenny. It’s best to err on the side of safety and caution for the time being. I’m not saying I’d avoid sessions altogether but I will attend them "with care".

If you’re "comfortable" attending a session, good for you.
"When will you feel comfortable attending a session?" I have no idea. I’ll let you know.

Posted by .

Yhaal House, I’ll feel comfortable attending a session when I think the risk of me passing on coronavirus to a vulnerable person is minimal.

But I’ll also feel comfortable when I don’t have to wear a mask (glasses steam up - can’t see with, can’t see without). Because of where I live (and I’m blessed with good fortune in that respect) I probably have to wear a mask for five or ten minutes a week at most.

If you "pop your socks under a 93 omnibus" you are unlikely kill anyone else or make them sick. Catch Covid, even with R less than one, and you might.

Looking forward to tunes outdoors soon, or indoors just with people I know.

Number of people who died on London’s roads in the whole of 2020 according to Transport for London - 95.

Number of people who died in London’s hospitals between 31/3/2021 and 19/5/2021 and had tested positive for Covid-19 - 121. (Source https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/coronavirus—covid-19—deaths).

The same source provides the information that the cumulative number of such deaths between March 2020 and early May 2021 is over 15,000.

Posted by .

The evidence for limiting music/singing is very poor, the uk gudeance is based on findings given in the following report
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/914628/S0695_Aerosol_and_Droplet_Generation_from_Singing__Wind_Instruments__SWI__and_Performance_Activities.pdf

those interested in the "scientific" basis for the guidance may like to read the report.
Note all the evidence is based on 2 studies with a total of 37 professional singers/musicians, no statistical significance can be claimed for any of the findings. the individual differences between measured aerosol/droplet transmission in the sample group was so large as to mask any conclusive finding and therefore any confidence in the guidlines, which are suggestions by the authors. A report that would be accepted by a peer reviewed scientific journal would require a larger sample of musicians and satisfactory statistical analysis.

If you are an ‘amateur group’ it seems that in England you are able to meet indoors in multiples of six providing you are not singing and the groups of six remain separate. Six to a table and tables set apart as required for the establishment to be ‘secure’ maybe?

However, I wonder if that means there has to be someone ‘in charge’ of the session and taking responsibility.

Yhaal House, it’s good to hear your local session is returning.
All the best!

Posted by .

Thank you AB! Blessed be!

Too soon, you fools!

Jeremy, I sent a message to you.

Posted by .

I was looking forward to attending a session in some form once I’ve had my second shot, provided I have some reassurance that all the other attendees have had two shots. However there now seems to be some evidence that 2 shots of Astra Zeneca only gives 60% effectiveness against developing symptomatic disease from the so-called Indian variant, which is becoming the dominant variant in the UK.

So, I think I’ll wait until we know more about how that symptomatic disease translates into hospital admissions and deaths before taking the plunge. The risk of me contracting covid and becoming seriously ill isn’t insignificant but is probably tolerable to me, but the risk of me spreading it and causing deaths of others is unacceptable.

I’m still sorting the new paradigm, if it is happening. While I’m concerned about the rest of the world, which is not to be ignored, I hope in certain parts we turn a corner soon. In London it might just be June 21st.
Locally I’m setting my calendar @ June 15th.
All the best to thesession.org wherever you may be in the whole safe, happy return to playing tunes with people.

Posted by .

Just been invited to another session at a different local venue from last week for tonight.
Six only at a table, mask on when standing up rules.

Up here we’re now allowed six people from three households indoors so tomorrow afternoon I’m meeting up with three others for a wee indoor session (we’ve been meeting once every two weeks on Zoom since November). We’ve all had two vaccinations.
No doubt some drink will be consumed but it’s much more likely to be tea than beer.