Wot, no Trad?

Wot, no Trad?

[WARNING: Non-serious thread alert!!]

In 1977 NASA launched both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes to study the outer solar system, then when they run out of dinosaur juice (Polybutadiene acrylonitrile, I assume) they would continue onward on their own momentum into the vast emptiness of interstellar space. It is predicted that they will approach the nearest star in ~40,000 years.

On board have been placed The Golden Disc, a collection of the diversity of human musical recordings. This is a collection of some fantastic music, but guess what?
NO TRAD!!No Irish, Scottish, English, Welsh or whatever Celtic traditional music. What a shame. So any aliens who listen to this won’t discover what the Craic is.

Here’s a list of the pieces of music on the Golden Disc:

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/whats-on-the-record/music/

Re: Wot, no Trad?

I read somewhere recently that if aliens encounter this recording, the first contact we will get from them will be "send more Chuck Berry" 🙂

Posted by .

And no link to thesession.org? NASA is trash. Elon Musk would do a much better job 😂

Fair point, Richard. But I was referring to what WE normally call Trad, ie loosely defined as mostly Irish and some Scottish and other stuff. That said, I do like Bulgarian and other Balkan trad.

"And no link to thesession.org? NASA is trash. Elon Musk would do a much better job 😂"

I’m quite confident a few aliens have visited the mustard board over the years.

Posted by .

Actually, my response was to the mention of Elon Musk (who also sings). I just incidentally used one of his sea shanties. I don’t even like the song really.
Although I do appreciate the shark in her version.

Posted by .

Postie,
That clip was wonderful. Surely nobody can disagree even if we find the song a bit much after a while… 😉

Just this bit since I stuck my foot in the door. Then hopefully I’m done on this thread.
Postie, I knew right off Alina is a good musician. Problem was the song is not my favourite…& Elon Musk sang it, & it was trending on TikTok, yah-da, so on, etc.

My point is your post of her singing that song only made ‘me think’ she is doing this because she can & it gets her more patrons. Which is wonderful. There I said it, Johnny, Alina’s YouTube is wonderful.
But, Alina is more than "wonderful"; whatever that means.

So, I listened to more videos with her and I think I have a better appreciation for her as an artist than I did from just the "Wellerman" cover. Thank you, postie, for your ante.

In closing I’ll post one of her songs which I think is more of an expression of her abilities than the first one I saw. The second video is the same song sung with English lyrics if any of you don’t know Russian.
Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6VG1pQsUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJYxCxzVe4

Posted by .

AB, that´s a pretty serious turn for a non-serious thread…🙂 But, whatever. Alina deserves all the credit you can give her.

Postie, I thought you would appreciate my reply. Sorry. I saw Danny’s warning up top.
[WARNING: Non-serious thread alert!!]
Cheers!

Posted by .