Tune - Is this right?? The days we went to school

Tune - Is this right?? The days we went to school

I wonder if anyone can help me. My Uncle George (now 97) plays the fiddle and he played a couple of tunes when I was over 3 years ago to visit my parents (my dad is his younger brother).
I know the second one is The Dark Island and I’ve learnt it to play on mandolin and recorder but he told me the first tune is “The days we went to school” and the tune sounds familiar but I think he’s got the title wrong.
Does anyone recognise it. By the way, the fiddle was out of tune but it didn’t seem to bother him lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spuVmxrENU8

I appreciate any help.

Re: Tune - Is this right?? The days we went to school

It sounds to me quite a lot like The Muckin’ o’ Geordie’s Byre but the first part of the B-part sounds a little different to what I’ve heard on recordings and the tune’s MIDI audio file. Might be worth checking out.

The first tune is the melody to the NE of Scotland bothy ballad “Drumdelgie”.
Geordie Murison’s version :
https://youtu.be/0_or_6h2aW8

Posted by .

Many many thanks. Definitely Drumdelgie. Funny enough I had a message from my Uncle saying he got it wrong and gave an different name “The Auld Jaunting Car” which was a also wrong.

I am seriously impressed with the help here. I have learnt the the other tune “The Dark Island”, in fact I can’t get it out of my head now. I play it on mandolin, harmonica and recorder. I think my wife is getting fed up but now she’s playing it on the fiddle lol.

Now, on to Drumdelgie.

We are not serious musicians but love to learn these old traditional tunes and at the end of the day, it should be about the fun.

Thank you again.

Steve

One of the names of the tune for ‘The Hash O’ Drumdelgie’ is ‘The Humours of Limerick,’ a jig from R.M. Levey’s “First Collection of the Dance Music of Ireland” (1858). If you hunt for it you may come across Tommy Reilly playing it on the chromatic harmonica.