What is the slipjig in the middle of The High Kings’ version of Rocky Road To Dublin?

What is the slipjig in the middle of The High Kings’ version of Rocky Road To Dublin?

I’ve been looking all over and can’t find the name of this tune.
https://youtu.be/0QdbeM2JWYE

Starting at 2:05

Re: What is the slipjig in the middle of The High Kings’ version of Rocky Road To Dublin?

welcome to the session - it sounds like a made up tune, nothing that I recognize. Is that Nollaig Casey they have playing fiddle with them?

Re: What is the slipjig in the middle of The High Kings’ version of Rocky Road To Dublin?

Yes.

Posted by .

And Máirtín O’Connor on box…

I would also guess it is likely a made-up tune. The recording is on here and typically, with very very few exceptions, the name would be part of the full listing of the track names.

All tunes are made up, are they not?

The question is, who made it up and what do they call it, if anything.

It could have been composed by one of the musicians there, who might just have called it "Rocky Road To Dublin bridge" or something.

To me it’s dull and a waste of a lot of great musicians.

One of the cool things about Bulgarian music (oh there he is going on about that again) is that the little instrumental intro/bridge/outtro bits that tend to be part of song arrangements are nearly always very catchy, engaging, and musical. They ADD to the arrangement, rather than merely filling time like that Rocky Road To Dublin bridge does.

BTW it annoys me when they sing "1 2 3 4 5" on the beats 1 3 4 6 7.

Really beautiful, very enjoyable, thanks for posting this!
-but why is she only playing the bland slip jig?
And the guys there, trying to trip her up with the rhythm.
Isn’t it 1,3,2,33?

It sounds to me like it should be called: "Tune in 9/8 for the End of the Song"

I would split the "1,2,3,4,5" bar into three and just say the words land on lands on the beats "1, 1&, 2, 2&, 3"

"BTW it annoys me when they sing "1 2 3 4 5" on the beats 1 3 4 6 7."

Haha, brilliant! Never thought about that.

Now there is a band somewhere that sings "Rocky Road" in 5/4, so 1,2,3,4,5 DOES make sense there. Can anyone remind me who did it? English band, I think.

Trish, is it maybe The House Band’s version that’s in 5/4?

Yes, might well be: have the CD somewhere……! But just listened to them on YouTube: their version is more like a 3/2 hornpipe setting.