another half a polka???

another half a polka???

Seems its becoming a habit, i get a few bars of a polka in my head, no idea where it came from!
I’m posting it in G as it fits the mando and melodeon quite neatly, but I guess it could be A or D.
polka G major, all F’s #
dgedGB2AGFAcAedB
dgedGB2AGFAedG||
apologies as ever for my bad ABC…………….

Re: another half a polka???

ah yes from Jackie Daly of course. Thanks Kenny, you may have broken TheSession speed limit for a quick response!

Nah, I happened across a request once as it came in, and replied within 2mins.
You could actually do this yourself Christy, with even very little knowledge of "abcs". I did recognise it as recorded by Jackie Daly, but am not so good with polka names, for some reason. All I did was go to "Search", choose tune type "polka", key "Gmaj", and type in the first 4 notes as "dg ed". Came up with 3 choices, "The Gullane" at #1. Nae bother.

Posted by .

When the magician explains a trick…

As Tommy Steele would have sung..

"Half a polka is better than half a barn dance, is better than half a strathspey(Or slow air..whatever you prefer), is better than none…."

I know lots of halfapolkas. Polka A and B parts easily divorce and remarry in my memory…

Sounds a bit like the exercise we used to do in our Scots Music Group: the tutor would compose the first half of a tune - jig, polka, strathspey, reel, march - and our job was to write the second half. Her "Tuesday’s March" became my "Lothian Road Polka" - in those days, our class was held in a church hall on Lothian Road, Edinburgh.

there was a time when if I had the first few notes of a tune the rest would just follow on autopilot - unfortunately the autopilot seems to have some unreliable wiring these days, and the co-pilot is way past retirement…………

Can’t help but wonder if thee and me might be the only ones hereabouts who remember Tommy Steele, JJ,MP.

Posted by .

nope, one of the first things I ever learnt on guitar was ‘Singing the Blues’ and I could do the whistling too…………

Some of us are old enough, Kenny. Did you ever see his film, ‘The Duke Wore Jeans’?

Posted by .

‘Singing the Blues’ It’s the Guy Mitchell version I remember.. 🙂

Also "My Truly, Truly Fair" , "The Cuff of My Shirt" and " "She Wears Red Feathers and a Huly-Huly Skirt""

We still play some of those in our care home gigs: or used to, when we were still allowed in such places!

Only on The Session could a question about a Sliabh Luachra polka end up as a reminiscence on 50’s pop singers. You gotta love it.

I know, and we haven’t even mentioned "Polka dot bikinis" yet. 🙂

Yes, this thread has taken a slightly unexpected turn (as so many of them do …) but doesn’t it serve to remind us why the late ’50s brought in a big revival of interest in folk music and traditional jazz, as a reaction to the sheer volume of trivial tosh that Tin Pan Alley passed off as entertainment in the post-war years?

Posted by .