What is the creepiest/scariest tune you know?

What is the creepiest/scariest tune you know?

I will play everything you give me.

Re: What is the creepiest/scariest tune you know?

is it Samhain already? I must have missed the summer…………..seriously, Port na Pucai [can’t vouch for the spelling]

I wouldn’t characterize Port na Bpúcai as creepy or scary, it’s gorgeous.

I’ve always felt that Paul Anderson’s version of the strathspey Marchioness of Huntly (the Milne tune, not the Marshall one although they are somewhat similar) has a haunting quality to it.

How about Jump at the Sun, by John Kirkpatrick?
https://thesession.org/tunes/736

Maybe that’s more of a North American, Contra tune.

Depends how it is played but Rosslyn (Roslin) Castle could be in the running: lots of bass drones, shivers down your spine!

John Kirkpatrick - American???? Maybe that’s not what you meant, Tom?

The Pumpherston has a neat 1940’s Hollywood monster movie vibe. John Kirkpatrick’s "Jump at the Sun" is another one in that vein. My personal favorite though would be "The Monaghan" jig, played slowly enough to bring out the darkness in the tune.

Crabs in the Skillet - in Cm.

Oh and also, I have always felt that the second Barra clapping song on Capercaillie’s Roses and Tears has a spooky feel to it.

That "Jig Of The Dead" is scary….. Has there been a thread for worst tune ever put to use? It’s got to be up there.

I thought it was quite jolly!

Posted by .

Two more that come into mind for me are:
Caledonia’s Wail for Niel Gow
The Sportsman’s Haunt

Another vote for Paddy’s Rambles Through the Park. The banshee wails in the second part are definitely creepy.

I’m another who doesn’t think the Jig of the Dead video is scary. I thought that perhaps people were commenting on the visuals, which I wouldn’t see, but that video is only the topic one. My favorite tune on that set is Paddy Breen’s which most definitely is NOT scary!

Two more that come to mind (sorry!) are The Corries version of Eriskay Love Lilt, and The Poozies’ Plecthumb set. Most of the latter is not scary, and I wouldn’t count it at all, except that in the middle of the first tune there is a very random scream, and when you are hearing the set for the first time at 11:30 at night…

Dezi’s version of Paddy’s Rambles is quite hair-raising.
Jig of the Dead is clearly a bit of fun in the ‘shamble around moaning’ mode. Meh probably not that scary per se, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

"The banshee, however, or fairy woman, is still faithful to the Irish race. She is deeply attached to the old families and, when the time comes for one of their members to die, she will wail aloud. Irishmen in all parts of the world will tell you that they have heard that cry. William Butler Yeats, the poet, relates a modern instance of its repeated occurrence. His informant was a distinguished anthropologist. Three times this gentleman heard the banshee’s warning and each time it spoke death. The first time was at Pital, near Libertad, in South America, as he was riding through a deep forest. The banshee appeared to him, dressed in pale yellow and
rose, and her cry was like the cry of a bat. She came to announce the death of his father. Again he saw
and heard her at the beginning of 1871, this time in London. Then his eldest child was taken. Her
last coming was in 1884, when the scientist’s mother died. Here is the cry, the last note being greatly
prolonged : "

From Redfern Mason’s The Song Lore of Ireland (1911)

Mason gives a score of the cry, but I can’t seem to be able to post an image of it here. But it’s incorporated at the beginning of my composition Three Dirges and Two Dances at:

https://musescore.com/user/2488/scores/5905930

Gallagher’s Frolics.

Posted by .

Reel de Montebello, written about a nail-biting drive to a gig in the middle of a Québec snowstorm (or so I was told)
https://thesession.org/tunes/4300

Posted by .

The Shaskin’ O’ the Pocky

Well it’s not Haunted House… despite the very spooky name.

The Belles of Tipper(sc)ary
The Starving Monster (The Star of Munster)

I just listened again gobby and I still think it’s terrible. It’s like something that got autocomposed, (is autocomposer a thing?)

The Wedding March 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Here’s Roslin Castle, which I mentioned higher up the thread: great version by "Old Blind Dogs" on their album "The World’s Room": but still not as spooky as when my pals Debbie and Linda play it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DxeIv6wqBA

Thanks for all of these! I’ve already gone through some and will do the rest today 🙂