Tune title please, and at the same time just to prove to the fiddlers that it’s NOT all in the bowing.

Tune title please, and at the same time just to prove to the fiddlers that it’s NOT all in the bowing.

I really should remember the name of this tune and maybe asking is just an excuse to post this nice video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf4ao1BWhDo

Posted by .

Re: Tune title please, and at the same time just to prove to the fiddlers that it’s NOT all in the bowing.

Is it the Belfast Hornpipe? [or maybe Derry] ?

Re: Tune title please, and at the same time just to prove to the fiddlers that it’s NOT all in the bowing.

Assuming you mean the hornpipe at the beginning, it’s a two part version of The Derry Hornpipe, also listed here as The Ladies’ Hornpipe https://thesession.org/tunes/5625 .

I’m not quite sure what you mean with the second part of your subject line.

The Belfast Hornpipe is as I know it is something different, but christy was right with ‘The Derry", or, as I knew it "Cornphíopa Doire". CMO… the second part of my subject line refers to when the fiddler passes the bow to the interviewer and then ‘fiddles against the bow’.

Posted by .

@Ah, it went straight over my head. Sorry.

These old guys play pretty well.

(Signed,
Old Guy)

Posted by .

Totally Irrelevant Aside

The interviewer in this clip was Bill O Herlihy, now deceased. He went on to become a Legend of Irish TV, mainly in the Sporting Arena. He was particularly associated with RTE Television’s soccer coverage. He soldiered for many years with Johnny Giles and Eamon Dunphy. Anyone familiar with Christy Moore’s song, Joxer Goes to Stuttgart will be familiar with those names. If he were still alive, he’d probably be doing his research for the upcoming European Championships.

//These old guys play pretty well.//

They certainly do!

On a nerd note, look at the last player on the box fiddle. He’s playing a bowed+fingered triplet on the A/(A)/D …bar#1 , notes 2 and 3 ( https://thesession.org/tunes/5625 )

No mean feat.

@Jim is the triplet you pointed out at :42 of the clip?

@Kera-Lynne - yes, at 00’43 and at 00’43 also, bar 2, between the notes B and D. Snappy, isn’t it? 🙂

You’re right askarambler. I’ve seen this clip before and I always thought it was Frank Hall.