Irish and Scottish Airs with Piano Parts

Irish and Scottish Airs with Piano Parts

Does anyone know of any websites that give music for slow(ish) Irish and Scottish tunes with written out notes for piano accompaniment? I’m asking because of a very elderly family member who we think would benefit from musical stimulation. We think that there would be mental health benefits if they had the chance to play along with melody instruments played by younger family members; they play piano but cannot improvise accompaniment.

Re: Irish and Scottish Airs with Piano Parts

I don’t know of any website, but probably worth buying a book? Just looking at what I’ve got -
1. Musical Reflections of Scotland, and More Musical Reflections of Scotland - 25 songs/dance tunes/airs in each - very simple arrangements for piano. Ossian publications : ISBN 0 946005 83 4 for the second book
2. Songs of Scotland - 36 songs each with song line + 2 lines for piano - also fairly easy standard. Boosey and Hawkes - ISMN M-060-08795-0 They also do a similar book entitled Songs of Ireland
3. A Song of Scotland - 32 songs in this one: slightly more advanced arrangements, but again with tune line + Right and left hand for piano. ISBN 0.86001.195.x
And if you’re looking for a good online shop for such books and others, try https://musicscotland.com/ (I don’t work for them!)

It’s possible that you might find some suitable accompaniments if you check out some harp sheet music books. There’s a lot of interesting "left hand parts" in some of these which could be transferred to the piano.
There’s several books on the go.
You could look out for the likes of Alison Kinnaird, Wendy Stewart, Corrina Hewat, Ailie Robertson for Scottish music but there’s many more.

Here are the links to two collections that are — almost — what you’re looking for. I mean that the tunes are not arranged for the fiddle or flute or… with piano accompaniment ; every tune is arranged for piano alone.
But in fact, the melody is played by the right hand part, and the accompaniment by the left one.
I hope this will help you.
https://imslp.org/wiki/300_Irish_Airs_arranged_for_the_Piano_Forte_(Various)
https://imslp.org/wiki/Ancient_Irish_Music_(Joyce%2C_Patrick_Weston)
Good luck.

Posted by .

Thanks for suggestions, everybody. I realise there are lots of books available, but without seeing the notes and level of difficulty I didn’t want to rush ahead and buy. Situation is complicated by the fact that the relative in question lives in a different country, which is why I hoped that there might be a few things available on the net to try out.

Kerr’s had a couple Scottish Country Dance books for the piano, and an Irish one as well. Probably out-of-print but good if you can find one. I have a gross-job photocopy of one of Kerr’s, and the arrangements are pretty basic, especially the left hand.