RIP Jimmy Devine

RIP Jimmy Devine

I just heard of the passing of Jimmy Devine longtime musician and teacher from Providence RI. I got to play backup to Jimmy and his cousin Tom once or twice years ago. Jimmy was the teacher of fine fiddlers Sarah Blair and Tina Lech among others, so I’m sure others who knew him better than I will have more to say about Jimmy.

Re: RIP Jimmy Devine

What Larry Reynolds was to Boston, Jimmy Devine was to Providence. He was a great soul and is truly missed.

Posted by .

I only knew of Jimmy Devine through a fiddler friend who had only good things to say about Jimmy, and said it often. Rest in peace, Jimmy Devine.

I knew of Jimmy Devine as one of a group of musicians learning and playing during the early days of the Irish Arts Center in NYC in the 70’s. His fiddle playing was always welcome at the sessions around the NY metropolitan area. Many years went by and I really only got to play harp and fiddle to any extent with Jimmy over the past couple of years, most frequently using, of all things, Jamkazam, during the pandemic. His loss is a huge blow to all who knew him. RIP Jimmy.

I met Jimmy while going to school in Providence as he lived downstairs from my apartment. He was an easy going, and personable guy, not to mention a fine fiddle player. I believe he was a founding member of the Providence based band "The Erinoids" as well.