Which arm for vaccination?!

Which arm for vaccination?!

I thought this was just a silly question, but actually I’m in the situation where I’m getting my first vaccination a couple of days before I have to play at an exam on the fiddle. I have heard of people having a sore arm for a few days after the vaccine. So which arm would be better to get the needle in?

Re: Which arm for vaccination?!

Your dominant arm, since using it more will help reduce the pain faster. I had my first one in my non-dominant arm, the second in my dominant arm. Did a bunch of gardening after the second one and the discomfort abated much faster than the first shot.

eek! Not very good luck with the timing there!
I’ve had both of mine and I’d say the first isn’t really bad, as long as you drink a lot of water and move the arm as soon as you get the shot. The second is a lot worse (in terms of soreness) and also the one where you would be most likely to get side effects.

I wouldn’t be worried about the first one, as I said just move your arm and drink some water and you should be fine. I didn’t have any side effects whatsoever besides struggling to keep my metal whistle from sticking to my arm when playing.

If you prefer to sleep on one side, consider getting it on the arm that isn’t against the bed!

Fiddle player here, I had the shot in my left arm, it was a bit sore for two days, but that was preferable to it being in the bow arm, which I move around a lot more!

I had a healing fracture in my right upper humerus when it was time for the first shot, so chose my left arm! Didn’t want anything going into that fracture site if they stuck the needle in too far!

The sleep consideration is a big one. I sleep on my left side, and I got my first shot on that side. Wasn’t much fun for two days. Second one was on the right.

I asked for the right arm, as I have my pipe bag (GHBs) under my left arm. I don’t think it made much difference; that said I think I would have found it more troubling to have it in my left arm playing fiddle than my right arm.

Posted by .

It’s true that you can hear from a lot of people about sore arms. Still you just may be in that majority who has no issues at all. I’m one of them. If I didn’t remember the event I wouldn’t know I had a shot at all.

I had the second shot at 9AM and did a concert at 1PM. Fiddle, flute and harpsichord. No problems at all…the soreness is no worse than a tetanus shot. I wouldn’t be too concerned.. good luck on the test.

My experience is much like WireHarp’s: no worse than a tetanus shot, either time. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on you overall health, body weight, immune system, allergies, etc. But if you’re a generally healthy person it shouldn’t cause a bother.

I got both in my right arm, since it moves more when I play, and movement helps get blood flowing through there. But honestly, the day after my second jab, both arms hurt almost the same. But the pain wasn’t severe enough to stop me from playing, it was more just annoying soreness…

Right so! Thanks for all the advice, hopefully it won’t matter at all. Delighted to be getting the vaccine anyway.

I’ve had both jabs.
I didn’t even feel the first one they did.
The second one I felt a bit of a prick.
Absolutely no post injection arm ache or any symptoms or anything at all with either.
No need for a fuss!

Good luck on your fiddle exam! I was not given a choice as to which arm was used, because I was a passenger in a family member’s car (drive-through vaccination) so they preferred doing it on the side of the passenger door. It wasn’t the arm I initially wanted but it worked out fine the first time around, so I was fine doing it that way with the second. I’m just sharing this because if your situation is similar, where you sit can make a difference and is just something to be aware of.

I got the Moderna jab and the better half got the Pfizer one (we’ve both only gotten one jab so far) - I had terrible soreness in me arm for about 4-5 days vs. the other half, who only had soreness for a day. We’re both right handed and both got it in the left arm. That said, despite the soreness I was still able to play tenor banjo & tenor guitar without a bother - it was really only lifting the arm above me head (when reaching up to get things off a shelf or turning light switches off in the shed) that was painful. Getting the second jab this Saturday so it’ll be interesting to see how that one goes. Best of luck with the jab and the fiddle exam!

I got AZ in my left arm both times.
It was quite sore and I was unable to play the fiddle for a week afterwords.

Or any time afterwards, or 65 years beforehand, either, for that matter.

Posted by .

I had my second inoculation 8 weeks ago. After about 5 days it became agonizingly painful which lasted about 10 days and has continued since though it is diminishing. It seems to be called SIRVA (Shoulder Injury as a Result of Vaccine Administration) caused by the injection being given too high and causing shoulder bursitis (after the bursa pad under your shoulder bones, the injection going into the bursa), or too deep into the muscle. This eventually causes a ‘toothache’ like pain which keeps coming back but I can still play.
You can always make your vaccinator aware of this before the event.

Jab jab - No effects to speak of here. If I’d been worried as regards fiddle playing I’d have chosen left arm.

Whatever you do, don’t tell them you play the banjo. Likely to do both arms just to be sure 🙂

I’ve had the two.. both times dull (dead arm) pain in the receiving arm. No big deal. No point (forgive the pun) in overthinking - if you’re going to get a reaction you’re going to get it (I’d the 24 hour mini-flu after #2). Vaccine protects me, my family, my friends and all the people I meet.. We are so lucky to have this. Perhaps if your debut in the National Concert Hall is upcoming it might be advisable to defer.

I received the Pfizer vaccination and “offered” both arms. 1st time left and 2nd right….

I’m not sure if I had much in the way of after effects or not although my right arm was slightly sore for while a few hours after the second jab.

I say I’m not sure because a few days after the first one, I was getting aches on the upper right of my chest and shoulder area including spasms which also affected me under my arm. I got something similar after the second but not as much.
It actually concerned me so much the first time that I saw my GP but was reassured that the symptoms etc were due to muscular issues rather than anything to do with my heart or angina.
I’d also been in the garden that week and I’m not used to hard work these days. 😉

Anyway, I’m not sure if the jab had anything to do with this or or not. These issues seemed to last a few weeks and I find that some activities aggravated it more than others.
However, since I started swimming again(pools reopened), things have improved greatly. Also, cycling and walking are OK too. I think it’s possible I just “let myself go” a bit over the winter when everything was locked down and while I’d been ill with my ear infection etc.

Had the first jab in the left arm. Moderna, nuisance kind of soreness for a few days. BUT, experienced 12 hours of Mini Covid, cough and all. I had covid last February and it felt almost the same. If you have an adverse reaction you should be over it in a day or two.
Second jab this coming Sunday. I can’t wait! Our session has resumed for the fully vaccinated and I will be good to go July 4 !

I had a jab in each arm. Second one, felt for a couple of days like I’d been punched in the arm, but that’s it. Didn’t make my fiddling any worse …….. but then …………

For violin/fiddle, I’ve always done left arm. It moves less. Would probably do same for guitar. For whistle it doesn’t matter. Would probably do right if a flutist or harpist– that arm is “held up” less.

I had Moderna. I’m middle-aged (man I hate that I now have to say that), healthy as a horse, had more soreness for both shots than I normally do (short of a bit of soreness in the arm for a couple days, I never have side effects from vaccinations). Second one was more sore but I feel like the soreness didn’t last as long.

(Besides the sore arm, no side effects from first shot. For the second, other side effects gave me a rough night– insomnia featured heavily– but were gone by roughly 24-26 hours later.)