Tune suggestion for piano to play with flute player

Tune suggestion for piano to play with flute player

Hi All, title says it. Looking for tune suggestions for a piano player to ease into, and learn trad Irish tunes. If you have source suggestions that would be great. We’d start with session frequented tunes and go from there.

This would be chords and/or melody both on piano, and melody for me on flute. We’d swap off melody on repetitions of tune.
Thanks,
L

Re: Tune suggestion for piano to play with flute player

Any slow airs would be good, so long as the melody player and accompanist can work together, e.g. Si Beag Si Mor or Inisheer. But there are endless possibilities for piano accompanying jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc. Best to work with a pianist you know well and trust. As a piano player playing in ceilidh bands, I tend to play melody on slower tunes such as waltzes and slow airs, but mainly chordal/bass accompaniment on the faster tunes.

I have to say the audio/video YouTube link that Kenny posted sounds wonderful. I personally am not a big fan of piano in Irish music doing its usual vamping/chunking. But that clip with a piano playing the melody as well sounds really good. A whole different sound.

I like the way Thomas Bartlett accompanies the Sailor’s bonnet here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w7cjXAtpJ4

Lot of base note/runs, stays away from the melody, the tune can breathe over the top.
Lots of freedom for the fiddle tune. Dennis Cahill usually provides Martin Hayes a very sparse support on guitar, and here he is almost acting as a metronome.

To answer the original question, it probably doesn’t matter which tunes you start with, more how much space to leave the melody player….

Pat

Dia dhaoibh! Greetings all!

Kenny,
Thank you for your very poignant post, a special and sad anniversary and beautifully connected with the OP’s question.
One moment which sticks out for me was in Listowel, ‘85, and Mary Mulholland playing melody on piano with The Pride of Erin Céile Band. Magnificent music, full of lift.

Hope all’s well over on your side of the world.
All the best
Brian x